05 issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, non. That was the last year for the gen 1, body style.

If you are not familuar with the normal things for any used car.

I would spend the $80 most profesional used car inspectors charge. Let them give you their profesional, opinion and print out. It might help with making the deal. If they find a normal wear and tear item. That needs attention.

Or they may discover it is a salvaged flood out. With all the floods across the USA. It was in the news last week. many flooders are starting to show up on the lots.

Salvage cleaners buy some of these at auction. Tear them apart and clean them. Then they ship them to other parts of the country. Where people arent suspicous of flooders.

The worst thing is the electronics in flooders. Will eventual show up.

A/c valve went out, replaced under warranty.

Upgrade shocks and rear sway bar.

Cruise control brake switch went out, easy inexpensive fix.

Driver door keypad stopped working.

Rear seat a/c fan stopped working.

Thats it for me. Overall a great vehicle.

I would not recommend a gen 1 ST, here's why. With the availability of the gen 2 marked improvements have been made in these trucks, not just in handling but quality. I don't own a gen 2 but I am very familiar with gen1. I've had my truck for 11 years, with 130k, here's the rundown you should look out for.

1. transmission problems, in general if you keep this truck you will run into problems.

2. 4.0L sohc has known timing chain issues, be aware that it will require complete engine removal to get to right side.

3. Ford parts are expensive.

4. Ford technicians are poor at diagnosing problems related to transmission.

5. mpg for a truck is not bad but gets about 18mpg combination, with gas going up it's up to you.

I have to add.

I have an '04 xlt premium. Never had any warranty items.

The dayI took it home. Was the last time on the dealers lot.

The only thing not working afterall these years. Is the unlock button on driver door. Too lazy to fix it.

I made many mods. Suspension and including to the motor. Im running performance tunes in the computer also.

I runn the crap out of it, since day one. It aint broke yet.

I expect to have it for many more years. If I break it. Ill fix it. IMO the body style is still very contemporary. Just the rright size for my needs. The gen2 '07/'10 is to big for me. I think the gen 2 owners on this board have had as many or more problems thna any of the gen 1 owners.

The only parts I have put on it, other than mods. Have been normal wear out sevicable parts.

Did I mention Irun the crap out of it. Havent broke it it.

As we know, Eddie has an extremely well maintained vehicle, and bought new.

One of the drawbacks buying used, inspections don't tell you the whole story.

Thanks for the input.

I had an 07 which I loved, but it would have needed new exhaust manifold bolts on both side. (2k + to repair)

I traded it in for a new 2010 Frontier, which is great also, but I want to lower the payments. That's why I'm looking at the Gen 1's.

Latest posts