05 motor not getting fuel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Grant

Reaction score
last night i was driving at about 45mph and the motor died. my first thought was the gas but that was not it. now my guess is the fuel filter or pump. i'm about to change the filter out but i wanted to know if anyone else experianced something similar?

i have had some problems starting in the mornings, instead of staying at idle it would just die. that was no a common problem but it has happened a few times in the past year.

thanks in advance for any help

Stalling at an idle can easily be both a fuel filter issue as well as an IAC issue. There is a project on how to clean the IAC.

Check to make sure the inertia switch (Passengers kick panel area) is not tripped. If it is, it disables the fuel pump.

I would suggest tripping it and resetting it a few times as I have seen the connection get dirty and be connected but not have enough amps to drive the fuel pump.

Mine did something similar. Changed the fuel filter, but no change. Changed the air filter, no change. Let it cool off and it would start and run for a few minutes, but that's all. Changed fuel pump and that worked, for two days. On a whim poked at the fuel pump shutoff switch under the dash and it fired right up. Ran for 15 mnutes or so. Had to do the same thing twice more before I got home. Changed the switch and it's run fine ever since. Melted the connector, though. I guess it did that when I kept pressing the button and driving it with a bad switch!:(

But at least I got a wrench out of it for a project writeup!:)

i will check that...

the problem now isnt stalling at idle though, its now that it wont turn over. i can hear it wanting to but just not happening

Dtto on coasties sujestion. Also I think we had one member awhile back, that found the inertia switch was intermitent. He had to replace it.

When you say "it's not turning over" do you mean it won't catch and start, or do you mean it won't even spin the engine on the starter?

KUUG,

Please clarify,,,

Wont turn over as in the engine does NOT crank at all?

Or,,,

It does turn over but does not start and run?

I am confused because you say you HEAR it trying???

What is trying? The engine, starter motor????

dreman, you said you changed the switch? are you talking about the button under the dash? i did try and press it last night but got nothing out of it. it seemed to try and start, pretty much sounded like it tryed a little harder to start.

I feel like the three stooges, with all three of us trying to get through the door at the same time!

I actually bypassed the switch for a time to get the truck back on the road because I melted the connector. I cut the connector off since I was going to have to replace it anyway, and put a simple crimp connector in it's place. The only problem with that is if you get in a wreck, the fuel pump might keep running, spraying fuel all over if a line is broken. You might just pull the switch and fabricate a jumper to replace it to test it.

I wouldn't leave it like that, though, since the switch is less than $30, and burning up in your truck isn't a good way to go!

I agree, bypass the switch to eliminate the issue, however, even easier, see if there is power coming TO IT when CRANKING the engine. If so, see if there is power PAST IT when CRANKING the engine...