'07 4.0L MPG - FYI

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Schultz

Reaction score
I drive 95-97% city and also drive 30-40 minutes each workday inside a chemical plant with a lot of stop and go. After about 6 months of driving here are my MPG results. All results are the average of hand calculated results after each fillup using miles driven/gallons to fillup. Also, miles driven/time driven results from the message center. The speedometer has been verified using two different GPS's.

Totally stock - April thru September -

8087 miles/14.83 MPG/23.53 MPH average

Change to 89 Octane fuel - September thru October

3306 miles/16.35 MPG/24.57 MPH average

XCal2 tune from Torrie (site sponsor) - October to present

1364 miles/17.89 MPG/24.33 MPH average

I post these results as info only -- but --- I do like my XCal2 with Torrie's tune :)

Terry

The message center for all tanks, on average, MPG is .5 high and gallons used is .4 low.

That's a nice little jump with the XCal. Is the XCal tuned for 89 octane as well or did you go back to regular fuel after you got the tunes?

excellent data collection. this is what I like to see. this is real information. so, how much does the xcal cost? want to do a payback analysis.

also, for the xcal to increase MPG, it has to decrease something else; this is a closed circuit, and the standard factory tuning is set in a manner to deliver 'x' output for each variable in the equation. the answer always stay the same, only the inputs change. so if one goes up, something else goes down...what would it be?

thanks!

The reason why you might get slightly better mileage with 89 octane gas is because Regular 87 octane gas usually has about 10% alcohol blended in to increase the octane to 87. Some of the higher octane gas contains less alcohol and use other additives to increase the octane. You will get about 20% less miles per gallon on alcohol, so you would need to calculate the amount of alcohol you are getting in the regular and it's effect on your mileage. Then you would have to determine if that extra mileage is worth the extra cost for 89 octane.

I sounds like you are getting very good mileage, or you drive like a grandma. :lol::lol:

Just remember that Texas City traffic is not Houston or Dallas traffic. I live in the Waco, TX area and don't consider hardly any of my mileage as city driving.

...Rich

RichL --

Grandma told me to get Torrie's tune for more MPG and HP :D

The driving in the chemical plant kills my MPH but does so with the MPG.

You are right about city driving being subjective. That is why I also calculate MPH on each tank of gas. As you can see my average MPH seems low; city driving does that. MPG is just a number unless you take into account the average speed. Also, by averaging the total results eliminates the errors of filling up.

Terry

Latest posts