07 6R transmission service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bRAD Baltzer

Reaction score
Does anyone have any how-to information on transmission fluid changes in the 6R (6 speed)? Has anyone changed the fluid themselves? I know it it a sealed unit (no dipstick) and it requires Mercon SP fluid. I am also getting lots of conflicting information on Ford Mercon SP fluid alternatives. Some say Redline synthetic D6 is an equivalent, others say Amsoil synthetic ATF meets Mercon SP specs, can't even determine for certain if Mercon SP is a fully synthetic ATF. I assume it is given the 150K change interval for normal driving conditions (30K for severe driving).

Thanks..........

Honestly I would NOT use any other fluid then the Ford fluid since your still under warrenty....

The service is a pain, there is a fill plug on the tranny, And I think it requires a special tool....

Not 100%, but I think it is a real PITA...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.......curiosity got the best of me so I went out and took some pics. There actually is a dip stick on the 07.....too bad you can't get to it without climbing underneath the truck. Maybe some day someone will mod a dipstick for the 07, it doesn't look too hard to do. I could not locate a drain plug so it appears the pan must be dropped, however there looks like a great position in the pan for a drain plug (low point), but until the pan is dropped this can't be confirmed. Note the long fill plug and dip stick combination pointed upwards toward the engine compartment. It is located on the passenger side just above the pan and toward the front of the tranny. Looks like Ford could have easily installed a dip stick in the engine bay, but for some reason, didn't. Once the fill plug is removed (3/4" box end wrench), you remove the yellow dip stick from the fill plug (just slide it out) and check the fluid level. The problem is, the engine needs to be hot, idling in park and the vehicle level. Also, note that on the pan it says " pan is equipped with a reusable gasket". yellow dip stick says to use "Mercon SP". The owners manual says the transmission capacity is 11.2 quarts of Mercon SP. Re-fill will be considerably less than this unless the torque converter is drained. /Brad

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool...

The special tool is the dipstick that is stuck in the plug... LOL

Way to go ford !!!!

Todd Z

Remove stick from cap before use... you might think that is because the cap might be hot? Not slight Adam, but obviously you have to dummy proof everything to keep the morons from taking the cap/stick off hot and burning themselves.

Latest posts