'07 gear shifter making new noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark inLA

Reaction score
As we all know, the gear selector locks when in Park, and you need to hit the brake to release the locking mechanism before you can shift into other gears. I've only had my '07 for a few weeks, but I never noticed a sound when the locking mechanism disengages. I had a touchscreen nav system installed yesterday (pics to follow soon), and now I hear a fairly loud mechanical sound whenever the lock disengages. Still works perfectly, though. Did they mess something up, or had it always been that way and I never noticed?

TIA

I went with the Kenwood DDX-7100 + BT + iPod interface + XM Navtraffic instead of the Z2. The good so far: MUCH cheaper (saved $1000) with most of the Pioneer's features (except voice control), and easily bypassed. The bad so far: installation not as flush as the Z1s I've seen, can't download my phone book from my Treo 700p, and unless I haven't found the right settings, the traffic data map is a completely different map than the navigation map. While the unit takes traffic into consideration when planning a route, if you are just driving around without planning a destination you can't see the traffic data unless you switch to the traffic map. I'm not sure if the Z1/Z2 operates the same way or not. I am hoping the Treo issue will be solved by a Verizon maintenance release coming in August, and my installer is bringing by a new trim kit Saturday which he says will make Kenwood more flush.

Last edited by a moderator:
dcpmark - There is a TSB regarding the gear shift being stuck in 'P'. Something about fluid leaking into some mechinism. I had this fixed, along with the tranny valve body replacement. Both done under warranty. Going fine for the past month+.

Yeah, I saw that, but so far everything works great. Just wondering about the sound it was making......