07 Off road capability

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt Brown

Reaction score
How does it do off road?

Just read Edmunds long term review of the Ridgeline and it had problems taken a route to a camping spot. Cross that one off the list.

Thanks.

If you are Truly going to go Off Road with it then I would not get one. They have independent rear suspension. If you ever wanted to lift the ST it would be extremely difficult and not worth the time or $$$. However just some simple trails it should be fine. Wait for others that have actually driven one off road to chime in.

What kind of offroading? I have driven mine a great deal off-road. but I don't rock climb or go through extensive mud or salt water etc. But with what little I have done to it... It does very well at the 900 acre field/wooded farm I go to.

Not rock crawling.

I want to be able to get to places that require the use of off-road trails.

Not "off-roading" as a sport itself. For that I'd buy an old used Jeep, Mod it and tow it with my Trac.

So my brother went through the same spot in front of me in his 1986 4x4 Ranger with no problem.. I guess the ST was a bit heavier than the ranger. Michilen Cross Terrains probably were not helpful either... It required me to walk to the barn, fire up the tractor and pull it out... I hadn't noticed the absence of the Tow hooks that I had on my '01 until I needed them.... Overall it did pretty well as long as the ground wasn't too soft... :blink:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
A1cntrler,

Your first problem is that you went directly into the ditch and not at an angle; big mistake.

Notice how your brother went through it anlged...

[Broken External Image]:

Offroading when you have to is fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those other tracks you see there are mine. It didn't want to go through that way either. Started spinning, so i put it in low range and idled back out. Tried it at a different angle and it slid to straight on. The front bumper ended up on the ground, and the running board was supporting the ST. My brother went through where my tracks are before when I strated spinning and not moving. In hindsight I should have just gone further down where we crossed before...

Yeah thats my #1 complaint about the 07' poor off road ability. If you look at the independent rear the lower A arms are pretty close to the ground where they connect to the wheel assembly. And it would be a nightmare to lift, expect maybe a bodylift, but I aint holding my breath. I'll stick to my 02' ST sitting on 33" AT's. :D

It appears that the Gen 2 ST are not off road worthy at all. Maybe a body lift and better tires would help a little, but I dont think much.

Main problem is ground clearance, compounded by the longer wheelbase. Also virtually impossible to lift and I think the '07 has traction control but no limited-slip.

In A1's case, with bigger, wider, and more agressive tires he probably wouldn't have gotten stuck.