07' Sport Trac 4.0 Oil Leaks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Aloha Folks,

I have some oil leaks and my mechanic says best to do both the upper and lower gaskets. I contacted a local Ford dealer and was surprised with they said the upper gasket was close to $100.00 and the lower was $50.00. Question: should I just order the Mahle or Fel-Pro brand gaskets from Rock Auto? They are quite a bit cheaper but I hope the quality is okay. Does the Ford parts come with other pieces? Just curious because their price seems high for a rubber gasket.

When we are changing out the upper and lower gaskets, are there any other items that should be changed out, dealt with at the same time? Thank you as always for your advice and help. Mahalo!

Where is the oil leak? Would not change upper pan/girdle gasket unless it's truely leaking;
thats a relatively expensive\extensive job compared to the lower OilPanGasket;
mechanic may be motivated more by profit on that work than real need.
While lower OilPan is off, recommend
* cleaning OilPumpScreen
* inspect for broken plastic bits from TimingGuides
* replace DrainPlug with a Fumoto DrainValve
Click here for more info on replacing the lower OilPanGasket on a V6~4.0L~SOHC.

Last edited:
Go with the cheaper, Mahle or FelPro are good.

Where is the oil leak? Would not change upper pan/girdle gasket unless it's truely leaking;
* cleaning OilPumpScreen
Aloha Dillard000- thank you so much for your replies.

1st, I am blessed that my friend and a former Ford Master Mechanic helps me and so many others in the area, he was recruited away by a large transit organization. He set up his garage to do work to help us all out. I've had to "fight" sometimes with getting things changed out because he doesn't like to spend money where it is not needed. Extremely reasonable and saved my wife and I thousands of dollars as he works on all makes and models. Okay enough rambling there, lol!

He looked over very carefully my engine after I mentioned the leaks and said we need to do both the upper and lower. I will take your advice on the gaskets.

Thank you for the Fumoto Plug advice, I went to their website and found ones that will fit on my vehicle.

I'll make sure to copy your notes to him about checking for plastic pieces when he drops the lower pan. My vehicle now has 170K on it. Thank you again for your help! Mahalo!

Last edited:
* cleaning OilPumpScreen
Aloha Dillard000- well some good news and tough news for me. My mechanic found the leak, it was on the upper oil pan gasket, cleaned things well, put it in. There didn't seem to be any leaks on the lower oil pan but since we were there and I had the gasket, it was done with the new Fumoto drain plug. My mech found pieces in the bottom of the lower oil pan. They look plastic and a couple of metal ones. When everything was put back together, it fired up like usual, very strong, quiet. But he's concerned and I understand. My truck has 170K on it. He said he does not know if the broken parts are from the front or the rear. He said there are multiple timing chains for my 4.0L SOHC V6 engine. He said one would have to drop the engine in order to chain out the timing chains, pieces. He's trying to figure out if that is worth it, meaning getting a timing chain kit with water pump, gaskets, etc or is it more cost effective to get a reman engine or a used low mileage engine and swap it out? Any advice would be much appreciated. Its been a very good vehicle for me, I hope I can keep it going. Mahalo!

Attachments

• IMG_20230702_194915460_optimized.jpg
    IMG_20230702_194915460_optimized.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230702_194933707_optimized.jpg
    IMG_20230702_194933707_optimized.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230702_194940175_optimized.jpg
    IMG_20230702_194940175_optimized.jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 0
...found the leak...upper oil pan gasket...put it in...done with the new Fumoto drain plug
...found pieces in the bottom of the lower oil pan...back together...fired up...strong, quiet...170K on it
...does not know if the broken parts are from the front or the rear...have to drop the engine
...trying to figure out if that is worth it...chain kit with water pump, gaskets...reman engine or...low mileage engine
Your "pictures are worth a thousand words."
Looks to be brokens from the original "LeafSpring" Main\Jack TimingTensioner,
mounted behind the WaterPump & TimingCover on the Engine front, FordMotorCraft# yl2z-6L266-aa.
Your brokens are from the original 1997 design\version of this part;
due to this exact same failure, Ford re-designed it around 2001~2002.
How did this part get into a 2007 year engine?
See pics below, comparing the old & new versions of this part;
the 3rd pic below shows an engine with this same broken part,
likely a similar situation to what you'll find.
Good news, it can be replaced without removing the entire engine!
To get to it, remove SerpBelt + Fan + WaterPump + HarmonicCrankPulley + TimingCover +...
also remove both ValveCovers to lock down CamShafts while doing this work.
While in there, I'd also replace those other Timing parts accessible via the front Cover:
* Main TimingChain
* Main TimingGuide
* Main TimingLargeUpperSprocket
* Main TimingSmallLowerSprocket; specific versions for engine with BalanceShaft or without.
If your engine has a BalanceShaft,
consider cutting loose that small BalanceChain (lower left in 3rd pic below)
& abandoning BalanceShaft in place; it's not needed & may result in a little more HP.
Recommend MotorCraft timing parts; Cloyes or Melling as 2nd choice; avoid cheap off-brands.
2001.Ford_Engi.Tmng_Jack.Tens_Ford.yL2z-6L266-aa_1997v2001.GIF
2001.Ford_Engi.Tmng_Jack.Tens_Ford.yL2z-6L266-aa_2001v1997.GIF
2001.Ford_Engi.Tmng_Jack.Tens_Ford.yL2z-6L266-aa_1997vFail.GIF

Last edited:
The engine will need to be removed to change the passenger side timing chain and maybe tensioner. The price difference between changing the cassettes, as they are called at Ford, versus a reman engine is very low. I went with the reman engine for the 3yr/36K mile warranty.

Your "pictures are worth a thousand words."
Looks to be brokens from the original "LeafSpring" Main\Jack TimingTensioner,
mounted behind the WaterPump & TimingCover on the Engine front, FordMotorCraft# yl2z-6L266-aa.
Your brokens are from the original 1997 design\version of this part;
due to this exact same failure, Ford re-designed it around 2001~2002.
How did this part get into a 2007 year engine?
See pics below, comparing the old & new versions of this part;
the 3rd pic below shows an engine with this same broken part,
likely a similar situation to what you'll find.
Good news, it can be replaced without removing the entire engine!
To get to it, remove SerpBelt + Fan + WaterPump + HarmonicCrankPulley + TimingCover +...
also remove both ValveCovers to lock down CamShafts while doing this work.
While in there, I'd also replace those other Timing parts accessible via the front Cover:
* Main TimingChain
* Main TimingGuide
* Main TimingLargeUpperSprocket
* Main TimingSmallLowerSprocket; specific versions for engine with BalanceShaft or without.
If your engine has a BalanceShaft,
consider cutting loose that small BalanceChain (lower left in 3rd pic below)
& abandoning BalanceShaft in place; it's not needed & may result in a little more HP.
Recommend MotorCraft timing parts; Cloyes or Melling as 2nd choice; avoid cheap off-brands.
View attachment 4353View attachment 4354View attachment 4355
Aloha Dillard, thank you so much for your information! So, it sounds like there are 5 parts to change add in a water pump and serpentine belt call it 6-7 parts. I saw a link to an all Motorcraft kit, 10 parts. I post here soon to see what you think.

Two questions: can I drive my Sport Trac now, waiting on the parts, I also had to get a new radiator as my original had a crack in it.

Secondly, Phil raises the subject about the back timing chain. If I do all the front engine work, is there an expected time/mileage one could get before having to drop the engine for another service or installing a reman motor? Just trying to figure out if doing the front timing chain only could get me an additional 75,000+ miles as an example. Thanks again for all the help! Mahalo!

The engine will need to be removed to change the passenger side timing chain and maybe tensioner. The price difference between changing the cassettes, as they are called at Ford, versus a reman engine is very low. I went with the reman engine for the 3yr/36K mile warranty.
Aloha Phil, thank you for your reply! I'm curious, did you get your reman motor from Ford or some other company? How has it been since changing out your original one? Thank you again. Mahalo

I had the engine pulled in my 2001 job one and the mechanic installed the complete cloyes kit. Had the front light chain rattle. Turns out the back one was broken. Engine still nice and quiet 20k miles later

Consider checking rockauto also.
Aloha Brett, thank you. I like Rock Auto very much. Will see if they have the MotorCraft parts. I'm hoping if I only do this front portion of the timing "system" it'll afford me so many more miles before a reman engine is necessary. Mahalo

Aloha Phil, thank you for your reply! I'm curious, did you get your reman motor from Ford or some other company? How has it been since changing out your original one? Thank you again. Mahalo
I got a local dealer to do it. Mine went out at 179K. They gave me 3 options: trade my truck in, cassettes only, or reman Fred Jones engine. Cassettes came with 12month/12K mile warranty, long block came with 3yr/36K mile warranty. I opted for the long block because I was doing a lot of driving. That was a great choice because 18K miles later it started spewing coolant from under the intake. After a month of haggling about it, they put in another engine.
It’s been just as good as the original engine. I’m approaching 170K mikes on it. I’ve been telling my wife it will die any day now and I bought a Ford Flex to replace it, so my ST is going strong to show me up.

I got a local dealer to do it. Mine went out at 179K. They gave me 3 options: trade my truck in, cassettes only, or reman Fred Jones engine. Cassettes came with 12month/12K mile warranty, long block came with 3yr/36K mile warranty. I opted for the long block because I was doing a lot of driving. That was a great choice because 18K miles later it started spewing coolant from under the intake. After a month of haggling about it, they put in another engine.
It’s been just as good as the original engine. I’m approaching 170K mikes on it. I’ve been telling my wife it will die any day now and I bought a Ford Flex to replace it, so my ST is going strong to show me up.
Aloha Phil, wow that is awesome! Is your ST a second generation like mine? Thank you for your information. Mahalo

...sounds like there are 5 parts to change
...add in a water pump and serpentine belt call it 6-7 parts
...saw a link to an all Motorcraft kit, 10 parts...post here soon to see what you think.
...can I drive my Sport Trac now, waiting on the parts
...also had to get a new radiator as my original had a crack
...Phil raises the subject about the back timing chain
...expected time/mileage one could get before having to drop the engine for another service
...to figure out if doing the front timing chain only could get me an additional 75,000+ miles
What does my "crystal ball" have to say on that question?
Not much, so I defer to others with greater powers of predicting the future.
My personal choice would be renew known broken parts,
while Valve+FrontCovers are off, inspect RightRear+LeftFront TimingGuides+Chains.
Based on what you find, make a decision to either
pull+replace\repair engine or just renew items behind front TimingCover.
No guarantees on any of these choices; it's a manmade machine;
it will breakdown again, 1week or 10yrs\200kMiles from now is the unknown.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3548216336...Hn5l4KVSoK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1426466093...Hn5l4KVSoK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Aloha folks, found a couple of links. I'm sure the top one is overkill if I go with just the front rebuild but as Dillard mentioned, Ford MotorCraft first for parts. Look forward to your comments. Mahalo
1st kit looks suspiciously like fake parts;
brand is "OEM" in description & blurred out in pictures, misspelled words on labels,
coming from west coast where theres plenty of cheap asian junk on hand.
2nd kit looks better, but has the BalancerGuide+Tensioners, do you have a Balancer;
ask your mechanic if he encountered a BalancerShaft+Chain when he replaced GirdleGasket?
2nd kit does not include MainChain or MainLarge+SmallSprockets; old ones can be re-used; just be aware.

So far as driving the vehicle as is, again roll the dice;
you've likely been driving for quite a while with this broken part;
I'd would mnimize my driving to only the most necessary trips.

1st kit looks suspiciously like fake parts;
brand is "OEM" in description & blurred out in pictures, misspelled words on labels,
coming from west coast where theres plenty of cheap asian junk on hand.
2nd kit looks better, but has the BalancerGuide+Tensioners, do you have a Balancer;
ask your mechanic if he encountered a BalancerShaft+Chain when he replaced GirdleGasket?
2nd kit does not include MainChain or MainLarge+SmallSprockets; old ones can be re-used; just be aware.
Aloha Dillard, good points. My mechanic is very fair. Thinking of going this front timing chain route for now. I will try to get Ford MotorCraft parts but like your other options as well. I do use a Ford synthetic blend for oil and was doing it every 4-5k but can change if that could help increase longevity after this work. Thank you again. Mahalo!

Latest posts