07 ST: Ford - Lock the Gas Cover!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah, didn't realize we have so many cynics here. Fair enough if you disagree. However, it is not meant as a cure all, but rather, a deterrent. However, having learned that the fuel system has other siphon protections, I suppose it is not as important.

Fine then. Damnit, Ford, I want you to use stainless metal under the console, in the seats, etc. I am sick of it rusting. :cool:

I have the locking cap, but took it off during the winter. It froze a few times, and was very difficult to remove, so I'm back to the original and not sure it I'll put the locking one back on.

Ford sells a good locking gas cap, I bought it a year ago. The aftermarket gas caps may not pass an emission test like what we have in GA, so that is something to consider.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

The link below will protect your gas investment, any type of vandalism, theft, and just fear of something bad happening.

Tom

Did you check the link I posted above? Click the link, watch the video, laugh, and you will understand what Tom T's comment was all about.

Tom

With gas on the rise, it wouldn't surprise me if folks DID try to siphon stuff outta my tank! :blink:

Patence please.

I have a working model of an electronic gas door lock that works off the existing electric door lock system. Wheny you lock your doors with your remote, keypad or drivers door lock switch, the gas door locks. When you unlock your doors with your remote, or the drivers door lock switch, the gas door unlocks. The unit does have a cable release, but that is just for emergencies.

The difficulty I am having now is making the unit easier to install without having to dismantel the entire sode of the bed. I'm hoping to have a model available for sale by the Louisville meet

...Rich

Hmmmmm.........does the design entail electrical wiring incorporated into the door itself? Can someone say "BOOM"? :eek:

R,

The electrical wiring simply means connecting the lock/unlock wires to the the two wires controling the rear door locks which are easily accessable under the plastic rear door threshold. This is exacly how the electric tailgate locks are wired. It's not rocket science.

The door lock actuator is not located inside the gas door but is located behind the rear fender. Also, the door actuators do not have electrical contacts and do not emitt any sparks, so the possibility of any BOOM is virtually nonexistent.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard,

You can't compare tailgate locks and gas door locks.

There are no explosive volitile gases hovering around the tailgate.

And the solenoids do use an energized electromagnet, which could be potentially fatal under the right circumstances. That is why many or most gas door latches have been cable operated to eliminate potential catastrophe out of the mix.

The electric gas door locks that are out there (I don't know of any, but I suggest there are anyway) are tested many many many times over in controlled lab environments to assure the consumer that they won't be burned alive.

Dads 1993 Thunderbird had an electric actuator.

I don't think I would even chance an aftermarket actuator on my Trac. Cable operted...maybe. Electric? Not a snowballs chance in hell!

Tom

I had a Jeep at one point that had a mechanical actuator that would open the gas cap, i.e. you couldn't open it via a grooved notch...that led to the gas cap. Early 90's truck, not sure why this isn't a regulatory item.

THAT is what would be sweet. :cool:

Latest posts