'07 St LTD V8 Annoying Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted on Aug 29 about this really annoying noise coming thru the dash of my new '07 ST LTD V8. Its a whining and chirping sound, fairly loud, rising and falling with RPM. (In addition to the chirping - the whining sounds like what you heard thru your radio, in the old days, when you picked up interference or whatever from the alternator.)

Anyway, I took it in today. The mechanic definitely heard it during the test drive. Then he asked me - "well maybe all the V8's sound like this. I wanted to kill myself! There's no way they could sell this truck if they all sounded like mine.

So, he takes it in with only one hope. That the noise is originating from the serpentine belt or one of the attached accessories. No such luck. Remove belt, noise still there. Next thing I'm talking to him and the service writer. He's looking real frustrated and next thing I'm hearing is "well, we need more time to look at this and we need to contact the "Ford Hotline." Uh oh. Is there even anyone home at Ford, these days? Next step - wait by the phone (not for long, I assure you).

I hate to think where this is headed.

Flyer

I would run the truck and pull all the accessory fuses till the noise stops, IF that doesn't work then it could be a small vacuum leak in the controls...

Todd Z

Well with that you can follow the vaccume feed that comes from the engine and plug it and see if the noise goes away...

I like the idea, more than pulling the accessory fuses, which I intend to try anyway. I would think that with the serpentine belt removed and the major accessories rendered inop, most of the potential trouble spots were eliminated. What's got me nuts is the way the "whine" rises and falls with RPM (in gear or in neutral/park). If its not accessories and not vacuum, I'm wondering if the search could lead elsewhere like the transmission / torque converter.

Anyway, will definitely try your vacuum recommendation when I get home, next week.

My v8 doesn't do that and I'm ultra sensitive to any weird noises coming from my car. I drive myself crayz sometimes. Right now mine is making a strange "clunk" sound that I swear is coming from the right front wheel area. I think I can feel it through the pedals but it's pretty faint most of the time and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get the ford guys interested in it until it get's more obvious.....

Flyer, have you resolved your issue with the whining and chirping sound coming from your truck? I hope they are making progress, I can only imagine how irritating this must be.

All posts are true, Wish you all lived next door to me so I could diagnose the problems.

Gosh, I wish you all lived next door (If you all could stand it!!!).

I DON'T recommend randomly pulling fuses to diagnose a problem, especially if it is

under warranty. Could possibly set codes that they may say are not covered due to your

(although, well-intentioned) tampering of the controls/systems! Just to be on the safe

side! Don't pull fuses, randomly!

Rising and falling through speakers/radio...? I'm almost positive it will be an electrical, not a

"belt squeal" problem.(If that is it!).

Oh, and please tell me, I mis-read that! He did not remove any type or manner of belt

and then take it on the road, did he???

Tracnblack:

I haven't pulled any of the fuses yet and will hold off on that, based on your advice.

The whining part of the noise is NOT coming thru the speakers/radio. But its the same type of sound that was often heard, "back-in-the-day" ('60s-'70s) when you picked up alternator interference thru your radio speakers.

And no - the mechanic didn't take my ST out for a test drive with the sepentine belt off. He did, however, run it in the service bay, w/o belt - and the noise was still there.

So its still unresolved, Lil Red. Irritating is not the word. I need the ST to get to work but I'm not using it for anything else cause its making me nuts. Still waiting for Ford "Hotline" input and expect to put the ST back in the shop soon.

Back in the late '80's I picked up a new EB Bronco (lousy vehicle) and promptly drove it to west Texas for Thanksgiving. All the way I had a high pitched whine that varied in its' pitch based on the RPM's. Ended up being the alternator. My noise also seemed to be coming through the front vents/forward dash (which it was).

I doubt that it's the power steering pump because the noise is still there when he removes the serpentine belt which renders the power steering pump inactive.

Just a thought, you might verify that all of the plug wires are seated properly on the plugs and the coils.....again, just a thought.

Will review the "plugs and coils" too, along with everything else that could potentially be the source of this grief. I'm on a business trip now and expect to return to the dealer, for Round 2, the week after next. At that point they should have more time to hunt this down so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions (Ford passes / fails) until then.

The whining part of the noise is NOT coming thru the speakers/radio. But its the same type of sound that was often heard, "back-in-the-day" ('60s-'70s) when you picked up alternator interference thru your radio speakers.

Same thing began happening in my 04. I've read posts where owners of K&N CAI experienced a "whistle" after installation. I quickly disregarded this possibility since the noise I was hearing sounded very electronic and occurred only at certain rpms, plus I've had my Volant intake for several thousand miles already - why would it start making noise only now?

At the time, I was also concerned with some rough starts and I took the advise of cleaning the MAF sensor and EGR valve. Ironically, this did not cure the occassional rough starts but the whine has certainly gone away! It may or may not have something to do with my disassembly of my intake during the cleaning process. Maybe the repositioning and/or retightening of intake parts plugged some kind of leak that developed over time....I dunno. But the whine is definitely gone!

As for the rough starts, I discovered a fairly loose vacuum hose which I re-secured and I haven't experienced any rough or hesitant starts yet. I hope this is cured too!

Latest posts