'07 ST terrible noise in suspension driving up curb

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
I was making a right turn into my driveway from the street. My driveway has one of those curbs that slopes up at a high angle. Usually I take this very slow. Well, yesterday I was going a little faster (maybe 4MPH) and it was fast enough to cause much movement in the suspension. I heard metal on metal when the suspension was moving while I had the wheel turned all the way to the right, to the stop. The noise was in the left front. I tried it again without being against the stop and it was fine. I'm going to have to take some time to see what this is, but it was quite shocking to hear it.

IT is a simple and common problem....

The turning stops do not come greased from the factory due to DEC and other requirements.

Simply lube them with a non water soluble grease and your all set...

Todd Z

Under the truck in the area of the lower suspension arms and spindles. Can't miss 'em. Turn wheels all the way in one direction and you'll see where spindle hits stop.

Pat,

Not the 07, But this should help you find them..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming the stop is the item on the right of the pic that looks slightly lubricated ?:unsure:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat, it's worth it to note that the steering wheel shouldn't be held to the lock for more then a few seconds, and generally, allowing the suspension to move while at full lock also isn't a good idea, your wheels are at extreme angles, in nearly every measurable degree. Just a note so you don't have premature wear on everything.

Your assumption is correct (it's that plus the little checken head on the lower control arm - to the left in the picture).

Latest posts