07 V6 potential problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Wright

Reaction score
Just did the first long road trip in my new 07 V6 XLT Trac and developed a little problem with the engine. Have not taken to the dealer yet as I am trying to diagnose the problem first. I have no modification on the ST at this time. Tuesday morning was probably the coldest day the ST has seen thus far, 28 degrees, and it started fine. However 2 hours into my return trip it was sputtering real bad when it sat at idle. I revved the engine a little and when the RPM's dropped back to idle it began to sputter again. It drove fine and I got decent gas milage on the trip but it is still doing it sometimes but not all the time. Anyone else seen this type of problem with their 07 and what do you all think it could be?

Todd Z, hold the TB until I can figure this out. If you have someone else to send it to then go ahead. Give me a a shout and let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some bad gas. Try some gas treatment. I have seen where alitle moisture can cause sputter at low rpm but not enough to cause any at higher rpm.

I have the V8... never had that prob... I do recomend that you take it to the dealer.. Have them flash the computer..

Ok,

Did you shut it off and re start ???

how does it run ??

Todd Z

No problems, yet with the V8. Sorry to hear of this, as it will turn others away from considering a purchase, and I really think this is one of best SUTs that Ford has built, let alone some of the mechanical problems some are experiencing. For myself, it is my 4th Ford Truck, and that is how I will use it. It meets the mark, in my book, and I hope it keeps up my expectation of what I have known Ford to be in trucks, anyway,,,,,,,,,reliable.

Todd Z, did shut off and let sit for about 10 minutes and then restarted, still sputtering. The funny thing is it does it when it starts until you shift to D then its fine. Then once you shift back to park it does it again. I have never seen this before. I thought it was bad gas as Fast Eddie said above but I went through 4 tanks in that week and have filled up since and it is still doing it occassionally. I did run some STP through with one of the tanks and it did not help. My next is going to be HEET at next fill-up and a stop by the dealer.