07 v8 8.1 mpg!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mazur

Reaction score
I just returned from a trip of 1000 miles. I was pulling a v-nose snowmobile trailer maby 2300 pounds and the best mpg was 8.8. I was driving 75 -78 miles an hour. Our o2 with 4:10 gears did a little bit better than that. I sure hope the price of gas keeps going down!!!

the speed will kill your mileage... the drag goes exponentially with respect to the speed.. at 55 you'll 'prolly get in the teens

My camper is about 1500 lbs and you can add 1000 lbs of gear and wood I carry while camping. I still get 14 mpg highway driving 75 mph.

That doesn't seem right.

I'm surprised, too. I pull an almost 4000lb. pop-up at 65-70mph with my 07 V8 2WD and get anywhere from 14-16mpg. That has got to be a fluke,,,,,,,,or a warranty problem!?

Terrain should also play into that, maybe he was driving in a hilly area.

STanner,

Yep, it is a Apache pop-up from 1976. Weighs a lot.

I've also hauled a car hauler trailer with three four wheelers and I think the mpg was around 12-13. That trailer alone weighs about 2k lbs.

No it wasn't windy and yes there are a few hills in northern Mi. However when I did slow down to around 60mph becouse of road conditions I never saw more than 8.8 register...

Hot4rd, how tall is the snowmobile trailer? I'll bet it's quite a bit taller than the pop ups that others are referenceing, hence a significant amount of additional wind drag even with the V-nose. The V-nose does not have any affect on crosswinds which also hamper fuel efficiency.

Lil Red, well I would say it is a little over 6 foot tall. It pulls real nice I just thought I would be around 12 mpg since it has more power than the 02.

If you were pulling the same trailer with your 02 ST w/V6, I can see why you might have expected slightly better gas mileage out of the V8. Unfortunately additional power comes at the expense of fuel economy. On the bright side, the additional power from the V8 drive train should handle the load a lot better in regards to vehicle wear and tear.

I got 10mpg towing my 4000lb 27ft camping trailer down I81 in August, usually about 65mph, but not afraid to pass the tractor-trailers going up the hills and mountains. Those enclosed sled trailers are very wide, punch a big hole in the air. The cold weather also saps a couple of mpg.

The cold weather also saps a couple of mpg.

Interesting that you say that, i'm in Texas and I have noticed that on warmer days (above 40 degress F) my V8 seems to get a lil better gas mileage. I know that cooler air is more dense which increases HP but I assumed that the PCM adjusted for that and for the most part kept eveything equal in all climates.

I've been watching my mileage on my '07 Limited computer display this week.

When I am warmed up and driving 70MPH, my truck averages 16.1 MPG.

My general "go to work and then back home" driving, including cold starts from my garage to drive the two miles to my job and back, all in-town, my average is 8.4 MPG.

I hope it gets a little better as it breaks in.

Latest posts