08 Transmission filter and change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavin T

Reaction score
has anyone done a transmission filter and fluid change on the 2nd gen Sport trac 4.6L?

i had mine done 15k ago and just want to have an idea if i should do it myself in another 30k or just go to the dealer.

you don't need to change the filter that often..........

its good for 30K at least as long as nothings wrong.

The work is easy, But the re fill is a little tougher, Requires a pump to fill and if you over fill you will be pumping out fluid.

Todd Z

I helped a friend on his '07 trans and filter. We measured how much drained. Installed a drain plug for future drainings.

We used a peice of hose on a funnel to refill. Just mesure the drained amount and only put that much back in.

Easy when you have a drain plug after that, no mess.

I have an '04 with a drain plug. So we both drain the pan. Then replace that amount. Mileage of intervals varies to how we drive. I do mine 5k to 10k. Avoids haveing to flush the whole trans. 30k for filter.

I am with CopSTA...Get it flushed

I don't necessarily recommend having it done at a Ford dealer, or any particular shop. Just make sure it is a reliable shop and has the right equipment.

I had my 2 Sport Trac's flushed at a local place "Kwik Lube" and they did a great job, for only $85....but that was over 10 years ago. I had both trucks flushed every 20K miles because of their reputation for transmission problems. A conventional transmission fluid change that drops the pan only changes about half the transmission fluid, while a flush changes about 98% of the dirty fluid.

Unlike others, I don't feel that the transmission filter needs to be changed for 100K miles if the transmission is flushed regularly since it is really more of a strainer rather than a filter. Any particles that could damage the transmission are stopped by the filter. The transmission filter is not like an engine oil filter because it does not trap and hold any particulate matter.....When you shut the engine off, the particles trapped by the filter fall to the bottom of the pan where they are held by the magnet and prevented them from recirculating through the transmission. Simply stated: Transmission filters are not the same as engine oil filters because there are no combustion byproducts in the transmission. Also, dropping the pan to change the fluid and filter only increases the chances of a transmission leak....also why many transmission in newer vehicles are considered sealed, and only require periodic flushing with a filter change every 100K miles.

I also don't believe that transmissions need pre-flush cleaners or additives that some shops want to charge you extra for.... They are only used to enhance the shop's profit margin.

...Rich

The maintenance schedule says 150k for a transmission oil change. While I don?t think I?d let it go that long, it?s not 1972 anymore. I changed mine at 20k when the bulkhead connector leaked. Changed my 2008 Expedition at 100k. It pulls my 32ft camper. No issues at all. It?s fully synthetic oil and doesn?t get contaminated like engine oil. And roughly 70-75% of the oil drained with a pan drop. JMO.

Latest posts