Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am confused.

You lost the harmonic balancer and now the engine does not turn over?

Is that what you are saying?

I can understand it not starting if there were sensors attached to the Balancer which is the case in many applications.

If the engine does not even crank, it sounds to me that the engine is seized up. I say this as, all was fine, then not fine, now it wont turn over. The clicking of the starter is the starter getting power, engaging to the flywheel, but not able to over come the seized engine...

Sounds to me like the starter may have stayed engaged. Bendix stuck in flywheel.

You usually get that sound when the starter is stuck...

may be harsh, but a broken crank form the failed balancer ???

could have taken time, I do doubt it, But possible...

Just a thought..

Todd Z

Ok,,,, That does clear things up a bit.

You need to see if you are getting spark as well as fuel. And, what the fuel pressure is.

With this information, we will be able to steer you in a pretty accurate direction.

One simple thing to check is, the Fuel Pump inertia switch. If you are not familiar with it, it is on the passengers side, lower kick panel area. It is a small electrical box and you will be able to push up or in a little plunger type switch if it HAS been tripped. If this is tripped, you will get no fuel. Engine will crank all day long, but won't fire....

"Class Action Lawsuit"?

Good luck with that one. Been through that with an old GM made car of mine, which had a catastrophic engine failure as well. To make a very long story short: I got involved with a class action lawsuit, just like you are talking about, and it was dropped. The reason in laymans terms: basically there are more vehicles running this particular engine with no issues, then there are not.