128k miles, 01' ST Moving NJ to Miami for work. Towing with Sport trac, motorcycle.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan DiMassa 2

Reaction score
Hi all, Long time reader but dont post too much. (you guys are too smart to compete with!)

Got the email saying Im being shipped to FL for work.

My truck has had a hard life, but after a miracle can of sealer fixed my AC yesterday (after 4 years without it) I can now get my truck ready for the long haul for 8/20.

I maintain it regularly and always use Synthetic oil, plus brand new tires, etc

Here is question one:

Any thing out of the ordinary I should bring a "back up of" or know before a 1000+ mile trip while towing with my high mileage ST.

I need to get my Suzuki Katana down and everything a bachelor has. (ex. No bed, but kegerator..lol) :supercool:

Does anyone have ANY experience or know how with the trailer hitch motorcycle carriers.

http://www.prohoists.com/MC600_Steel_Motorcycle_Carrier_Ramp

They are good for 600lbs, (mines 450) and not sure if its better to go with that OR buy a 5x8 enclosed trailer and get the rest of my belongings in there. Whats less stress on the ST?

Besides a tranny flush any other hints?

anyone else have a small leak - looks like rear main seal.. (I check it weekly, and will every fill up of trip)

as you can see and advice or insults are appreciated! : )

:banana:

thanks! (ps: im going to be putting some money into her, so I need some parts - keep an eye on WTB in swap if you are parting out or have left over parts)

I'd go with the enclosed trailer for the trip. I tow different size trailers all the time and don't have any problems. Just keep an eye on the trans fluid for leaks and burning smells. Good luck on the trip and stay safe.

VA to CA I towed a 6x12 enclosed trailer with two motorcycles in it plus other crap..

CA to WA I towed an 18 foot boat.

Close to 100k or over for both hauls. Change/flush trans fluid before the trip. I added a drain plug to my trans pan and change what fluid I can pretty regularly so I haven't had a flush.

Those sideways motorcycle haulers always scared me, I'm sure it's fine.. but not for me. I'd rather have a trailer to haul extra crap with.. I currently have a harbor freight 4x8 open trailer that folds up and fits in my garage, total cost was about $350 with adding the wood and having it welded to reinforce it since it was just bolted together.

I don't imagine you should have any issues, NJ to FL is mostly flat, and even the "mountains" you do encounter (depending on route) are nothing like the west coast mountains which my ST did perfectly fine on. Make sure fluids are fresh and topped up and have fun. Make sure you don't rush the trip, lots to see.

Upstate New York to St Augustine a couple of times. 6x12 enclosed trailer 2 full sized Harleys. No problems except for about 10 to 11 mpg. All in all towed great

[Broken External Image]:

Other than a tranny flush I would change the transfer case lube if it is a 4x4 and the rear axle lube.

And the fuel filter.

Thanks! Of course, as Im getting ready to order all the parts I get the infamous 401 code.. and it stalled while driving for the first time. (Scary thing is I dont think they are related plus 20 hour ride in month)

Again thanks for the advice!

DPFE replacing,

Dan

Recently moved to FL from NJ / NYC. Did the road trip a couple years ago from NJ to Daytona, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, to Key West, up to St. Augustine, and then, reluctantly, back up to NJ... not even a year later I flew down found an apartment and flew back up north to plan the move. Trac did fine on both trips although I was not towing.

Flush the tranny and flush the cooling system. Replace your hoses and belt and thermostat if it has been a while, change your air filter.

After you get down here, disconnect your battery for a bit and let the ECU do the relearn thing. I don't know why but my trac got a bit flaky once I moved here, and it took a couple of weeks to "adjust", then all was fine. The clean air, sunshine, and warm weather must have been a shock for her.

Get used to braking differently, on hot days your brakes can fade faster or feel different. Don't ride the brakes, and give yourself plenty of room to stop.

Miami can be worse than NYC. If you feared driving in NYC, you better learn how to drive in Miami fast. FL drivers are worse than NJ drivers, and that is saying a lot. They do not use turn signals, and 1 car length between you and car in front is plenty of room for the guy in the right lane to get in front of you.

Get used to letting air out of your tires. Check them frequently and you might find you leave your cold PSI 1-2 under.

Go here for a great cuban sandwich:

Latin American Cafeteria

9606 Southwest 72nd Street

Miami, FL 33173

You may openly carry a can of mace up to 2oz. You may keep a firearm in your glove box and in your home without a permit, and if you ask for a permit you may carry a concealed weapon. Not a firearm, a weapon, of your choosing. I personally carry nunchauks. Stay cool and use your head, mind your manners.

Use your street smarts. They're running scams that died in the 80's in NYC, but most people here are really good people.

It's going to cost you about $500 to register the Trac.

You're a bachelor... You lucky piece of $H!T. You'll understand shortly. Get the Trac detailed, start working out and taking vitamins. Oh and #^Ck you.

STOP at the FL weigh station if you have a trailer.

Apparently heat kills batteries too. How old is yours?

There is no state income tax, but there are a lot of fees if you want to do certain things.

If you see your sandals walking across the room without you, it's just a couple of roaches.

If you can't figure out South Beach, follow the ass. As a matter of fact, just follow the ass for everything.

Rain... make sure you have tread left in the tires.

Keep your EZ-Pass for the trip, it's good through Virginia. Mail it back to the address on the front with a written request for closure for a credit. Get a sunpass sticker at publix.

Get better sunglasses.

You might not pee very well for a few weeks. Get a PUR filter for your faucet. Drink lots of water. It will take 3-4 weeks for you to acclimate.

Don't throw away any pants, cut the legs off.

Cuban women, coffee, cigars, rum, and sandwiches are a good diet.

I misread the title and had to do a double take... I thought you wanted to tow your ST with a Motorcycle... :rofl:

I need a drink, and a nap... Not necessarilly in that order... :yawn:

Any trailer you take, just take it easy and make sure you load is secure and evenly distributed so it won't shift. I haven't towed a trailer with the Trac, but I've seen many a trailer flip, or a bike go rolling across I-95. There used to be a few towing experts on this site like Rodger & Georgia (the shock experts) who I believe towed a trailer home with the trac. I know some dude posted pics of a similar trailer to your craiglist ad, loaded with a ton of crap for the scrapyard. Hopefully they can chime in on how to inspect your new trailer. I imagine if the latches, tires, and bearings are good, and you secure your load right, you're in for a good trip. My only concern is if you plan to stop for a night or just drive straight through, because the trailer you posted is open... and thieves look for easy targets. There's also the monsoon type rain if you run into a storm. I know you can immobilize the bike and lock it down, but you mentioned you might take other stuff in there.

Most of the people on the 95 run are decent people, and crime is low, but there. For security, I put the most hardcore master lock at lowes on the truck. I carried a 4D MagLite in the cab with an LED bulb and bust-a-cap upgrade, a Fox Labs mean green pocket pepper spray, and used common sense and instinct to stay out of trouble.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tests/can-your-padlock-withstand-a-bullet

http://www.bustacap.net/content/view/35/50/

http://www.defensedevices.com/mean-green-training-kit-1.html

I've done the drive up and down at least 20 times now. When hauling a load, staying to the right and doing the limit is usually fine, people will just go around you. I moved in a 16' budget truck I didn't think would make it out of NJ and had no problems all the way down. By Maryland, I felt like I was driving any old car. Truckers and smart drivers tend to pay attention when they see you towing and become more cautious with you, but you have to remember the idiots. If people knew how hard it can be to stop a loaded rig, they might think twice before cutting you off.

Virginia near DC and Richmond gets crazy traffic at rush hours and some of the drivers are psycho, same thing in Miami. Just keep your cool and drive defensive. Baltimore can be bad but really its just a pain when you get off of 95. Anticipate your moves and lane changes especially near the "big cities" where the signs get confusing. Don't run the tank dry, not all the exits have 24 hour gas. Cash / Credit prices can fluctuate widely so read the price the pump displays just before fueling. Hardees, Sonic, Checkers, Steak & Shake, Waffle and Huddle houses are all awesome for fast food. Also, the tolls, you have an extra axle they'll charge for (trailer).

Stop at South of the Border between NC and SC, you have to see it if you haven't before. It's really cheesy but the chow and bathrooms are good. Squat at the welcome centers, they've come a long way renovating and maintaining the bathrooms over the years and most have security. Everywhere else is a crap shoot, but most McDonald's are clean. SC welcome center bathrooms still suck. I still travel with disposable gloves, Lysol wipes, and charmin wipes in ziploc bags just in case. A travel comfort kit goes a long way and makes for a quick de-funking.

You know the stock shocks are horrible and most people here replaced them soon after buying their Trac. My Bilsteins lasted about 40K miles, then I put in a set of KYB MonoMax since the Bilsteins were very stiff up north in the cold. The KYB are very comfortable year round, but I prefer the stiffer Bilsteins for this heat, wind, and highway driving, and will be going back to them when the KYB wear out. The Bilsteins might help you with the extra weight in the back, but are only worth it if you're in need of new shocks.

I've had the upgraded rear swaybar for a while, and might upgrade the front as well due to the wind on I-4 (similar crosswind to NJ TPK). The swaybar and the shocks are a personal preference though, you can figure out how you like the handling once you're on the roads down here... I've got 110K miles on the Trac, and it rides like new because the roads are so smooth. I'm also itching for a project because there's a guy that rents garage bays with lifts near me.

The only thing that's a certainty is you need to maintain your car and plan ahead because while you usually drive in a short radius... before you know it you're driving 90 miles somewhere for pie, or bike week, or a star wars convention, gun show, fishing, jet skis, boating, party, spring break, theme parks... the list goes on. The food is good too so you might go out of your way for some chow and scenery.

Anyway good luck with the relo and I hope all goes well. Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll really enjoy this state. Now you can vacation up north to get a dose of winter weather and White Castles.