12mpg in town :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Hartman

Reaction score
Is any one else getting 12mpg in town, this is not good. My 01 4x4 4.0 sport trac is only getting 12 at best in town on the hwy it gets 22-24 I gave it a tune up new fuel filter air filter checked the psi in the tires idk what to do next, O2 sensor maybe its got 90k on it I've put a new mass air flow on it the old went bad I've owned this truck 3yrs and its been this way since i bought it maybe that's why the old owner got rid of it couldn't afforded the gas, any suggestions anyone. If that's the best it will do I might as well trade it for a F150 I'll probably get better mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sport Trac is a heavy truck and that really sucks up the gas in city driving. The problem is that you never get any momentum up when you go from stop light to stop light. That means that the your engine needs to move 4300+ lbs from a dead stop. Probably not much you can do about that accept accelerate a bit slower, but 12 MPG in the city is not too far from typical. The heavier the traffic the worse the MPG.

...Rich

Luckily my tranny started acting up so I was more less forced to trade mine in. Best thing I've done in a long time. I got an 08 f150 5.4 crewcab longbox and I get 16 in town and 20 on the hwy. Plus I can pull a car trailer now. It gets better mileage and a lot more function. I liked the ST but not enough to continue to drive a something so useless. Trade it in before you get anymore miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rc, useless to you. Your F150 won't do some of the things my ST can. I guess I'll conclude the F150 is useless.

Well I can say it is useless since I drove one for the last 6 years. I'm not talking with no experience with both. Useless might be a little harsh but that's how I feel after my experience with the ST. It served its purpose at first but me and my family quickly outgrow it.

I get roughly about the same MPG with mine and mine is an 02. Despite what some people say, My uncle has a 2011 F-150, and my ST with a V6 was still able to outdo his truck in more ways than one. :smack: I can haul more people, and my ST was able to pull a trailer that was loaded farther than his did, and mine still looks a whole lot better:bwahaha:. Even with the smaller gas mileage, I wouldn't trade it for anything.:driving:

I know I've got a 2008 GenII, but I'm only getting 15.5 to 16mpg for mixed driving. I can get as low as you said and about as high as well. It is like driving a brick, what do you do?? Bob

Remember too, when you're in town all the time you spend at red lights and stuck in traffic averages in at 0 mpg. My driving is mixed, I get good highway mpg but I average 14.7 on pretty much every tank. (Gen 2's have an mpg dash display.)

I'm shocked at 12 MPG. I had a 2001 Sport Trac and usually got 15. I have a 2008 Adrenalin V6 and get nearly 18 around town and 21 on steady highway. Many people are reporting similar mileage as I am. So, either you are driving like a maniac or I'm driving like an old lady! :)

I suspect driving style, idling, pedal to the metal, braking hard, cornering hardnot surebut 12 MPG is horrible and not even close to my numbers.

I had an F150 driver stop me at a light a month ago asking where I got my Adrenalin as he really did not like the poor mileage and size of the F150. For me, the F150 would be useless.

I liked the ST but not enough to continue to drive a something so useless. Trade it in before you get anymore miles on it.

rc,

That dont sound like you liked it, to me. Useless, I think not. Brash statement to make on this board.....

Lately I've been doing almost completely city only driving and have been averaging ~14MPG. Avoiding getting past 2000rpms helps (below 2500rpms on the highway).

My 01 got an average 15 in town, and average 19 on the hiway. (With 150K Miles on it)

My mileage TANKED like yours did, and the problem I found was the PCV hose elbow where it attached to the intake was rotted & cracked. Wasnt bad enought to throw a code, but leaking enough to cause the degredation in mileage. Costs you nothing to have a look at that..

My 03 gets around 15-16 in the city and 22 on the highway. I go around 2 1/2 weeks on one tank of gas. It really depends on driving habits.

Around town I'm getting a steady average of 17 mpg. On long trips (DC to Boston) I average 21. I wouldn't consider myself a fast driver, but I certainly am not a slow driver either. Gas mileage aside, I wouldn't get rid of my Trac for anything. It serves numerous purposes - I can get up in the morning, load the extended cargo bed with yard debris, drop it off at the dump. Drive to the lumber store, pick up a half dozen 4x4x8's drive it home. Later that evening I can get all gussied-up and take the wife out to a fancy restaurant in an attactive SUV. It works for me.