1996 Taurus A/C Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
So yeah... Not the Sport Trac, but it is the ST older sister.

So, driving to work this past tuesday, all of a sudden the engine starts making a bad sound. Goes away when the A/C is turned off. Later on, sounds like parts falling out the bottom of the engine.

A/C not getting cold. Great. Replaced the starter last week... now what.

Get home last night and look into the problem. Found what I believe is the clutch hub lying on the subframe. No attachment bolt to be found anywhere.

Question 1:

- See attached pics. From the picture, will anyone confirm that the part can be found under "A/C Clutch Hub"?

Question 2:

- Anyone know if I purchase a replacement hub that the mounting bolt will be included? Autozone did not have any in stock to know for sure.

Question 2b:

- Anyone know what size of bolt is used to attach the hub? If it's a standard size (more or less) I should be able to find it at work, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Motion Industries... etc.

Question 3:

- When trying to get info at the parts store, they needed the A/C compressor part number to match the hub. I cannot seem to find any number other than 302-2 on the back side of the compressor. Believe me, I do not want to break the refrigerant lines loose to pull the compresor off if I don't have to.

Last Question:

- Would it be better to replace the whole clutch assembly or just the clutch hub?

Thanks ya'll!!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Yep...that sure is the ac clutch hub. I can't tell you what the size the bolt is right off hand but I think I have a few of these old compresors laying around at the shop I can pull a bolt out of and measure tomorrow. The compressor should be a FS-10. Also when you put the clutch hub back on the air gap will have to be set because I am sure that the shim is no longer there. The gap should be around .015"-.020"

Latest posts