1st warranty work

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ellis

Reaction score
At 35,740 miles took my 04 Trac in for the first problem it's had. Limited slip diff wasn't slipping when it should. Some rear end shudder when turning from a stop....sometimes....not predictable. Dealer is going to replace clutch pack. So here's a question. How long will the new pack last? Your opinions please. Also verified with the service manager that trans fluid should be replaced every 30K miles so guess I'm due for that too. Also, the additive for 04's is not needed again. So it should be OK to have any shop change out the Mercon V.

I can't predict how long the clutch pack will or should last. I can offer that I have a '01 with 132,000 miles with no problems or noise.

Seems like there have been alot of members having trouble with the clutch pack on LS. I have had several fords including the stang I have now with LS..never had any problems..I think the only difference is the Trac and ford trucks is the 32 spline axle LS, vs. the 28 spline axle on the ford cars...the ring and pinion is still the same 8.8"

I wonder if there is a difference in the clutch pack.assy...I have run the crap out of my other cars...never lost a clutchpak...

Fast Eddie-this seems to be a big problem on the new style F150 as well.

GM had the same issue for years. They came out with an additive that solved it.

I have added it to every, (Ford Chrysler or otherwise) vehicle that has given me rear differential chatter. It is like a miracle cure...

Had to look in my files but here is the info on it. This stuff is fantastic. And cheap too. List is $6.99. I pay $3.00 from our local GM Dealer

GM limited slip/posi-trac additive (part number 1052358)

Actually all I wanted them to do was add some of the modifier to see if that took care of it. But I'm guessing that since they could do it as warranty work and have Ford pay for it.....why not. I get new parts and dealer gets full payment for work performed. All the tech did was drive it to verify the noise.