2-3 flare

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Roncarati

Reaction score
Here we go. Got the slip from 2nd to 3rd this week. Dealer got me for 99 bucks today and told me they can't find the problem, and need to tear down tranny, for $400.00! It may or may not be covered by my ESP which is good for 75,000 miles. It's a 2001 and has a little over 62k. If it is covered, all I pay is the 100.00 deductible, if not.....??????? What a joke! I have a feeling they will tell me it's not covered because I never had the 60k service.

Mike you can buy the updated valve solenoids and EPC for less than that and have a tranny shop install... You should be fine if it just started happening.. BUT DO NOT drive it if it is allways there...

Todd Z

Todd,

My father in law can do this work no problem. He just doesn't have the time right now to do the full teardown as he is going on vacation. He suggested that we try the solenoid for 90.00 this week and if that doesn't work, then bring it in. I figured if we did that though, it would DEFINATELY void the warranty. I noticed this about 3-4 days ago, and doesn't do it every time, but it ain't gonna get better! Your thoughts? Thanks!

If you change it and use all ford parts, they will not know you where in there. THE best thing you can try is upping the EPC pressure a little and just do a filter and fluid change..

YOU as the owner are allowed to service your truck, they cant void the warranty for that and just use the ford fluid and filter. The gasket is reusable....

Todd Z

I have NO IDEA what EPC pressure is, but I will pass this info along to the guy that does. I appreciate your help. I have learned a great deal my short time here!

Mike

Mike, here is alink to help you with the epc...

Todd Z

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/epc/epc.html

Mike

Let a Ford dealer do the work...ESP will cover the problem.Their is a service bullition for the flair.A new v-body will solve the problem.The cost without ESP $740.00 forjust parts.My 2001 had only 52K until the 2nd/3rd flair.

They should, but like I said won't commit because they need to "find out what part is bad" and see if it was due to lack of maintenance. I am taking a gamble because they will charge 400 bucks just to tear it down. If they don't cover it, I'm pretty much commited at this time. I really think they are going to try to screw me on this, otherwise they would have told me it was covered. My father in law does trannys for a living and can do the valve body in his sleep, so instead of taking a chance on the ESP, I figured I'd just pay for the valve body and have hime do it. My dealer made no mention about a service bullitin, and thier tech said it was inside the transmission, which I think is crap. By the way, what parts cost 740.00???? I have a price of 90 for solenoid kit, is valve body not included with that?

They are feeding you a line. The 2-3 flare is a known issue, and there is a TSB out on it. The TSB covers the flare "issue", not just a specific part.

Go to a different dealer.