$@#*!!!!!!!!!! 2-3 FLARE!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
It came back!! But I guess I can't complain too much as it waited until 127K to do it. I've been reading up on the 2-3 flare, so I know about the valve body gasket problems, etc etc. The strange part, is it doesn't flare when I shift manually 1-2-D on takeoff, only when I take off in D. Why would it do that? I looked at the fluid (dipstick) and it doesn't seem to be burnt, it's still red and at the proper level, even though it's about time for a fluid change. Any ideas beyond that? I was thinking about trying the Lucas transmission additive until I can perform a fluid change to see if it'll help temporarily. I haven't had the OD light of death yet. (knock on wood)

I'm no expert or mechanic by any means, but I would definitely have it taken care of. It's there and it's not going to get better.I would think putting a band-aid on it will just be delaying the inevitable.

Because when you shift it manually you put the transmission into "full pressure up" so the transmission is running at the maximum pressure that the EPC will allow.

Have you done the EPC adjustment yet??? If not try that first and then you can increase or decrease the pressure using your Xcal 2.

Paul H

I just went thru the same thing... 2-3 weeks ago.

when they pulled mine apart i actually got to see and watch what was going on.

FORD was in there one time in Nov. 2002 (brought it in for the same issue) and they/the mechanic at ford thought he could make it correct. but they didn't. they left something out internally maybe there was a TSB on it or something, who knows.... but it was never right since. took it back to them and another Ford dealer and they said it was OK... so i just drove it casually for 4 years....

I hate to say it but i did have to pay out of my -ss for a tranny shop to rebuild it.

1300.00 dollars later:(.... but i am happy with what they did.:D

because it does shift GREAT!

MYST has never shifted so good, even when it was brand new.

rob

i did talk to several tranny shops and even FORD - quotes went from 1,200.00 to 3,000.00 for estimates....

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I drive it, the more I find out... It's a computer problem. It's not flaring because a clutch is slipping, it's actually having a hard time determining which gear to shift into, so it goes from 2nd to 1ST to 3rd instead of just 2nd to 3rd. It also has issues with passing gear. Instead of going into 4th for passing, it drops to 1st.

I'm taking it in as soon as possible to avoid a rebuild because of the extra wear this is putting on the tranny, and because I'm worried about this thing going nuts under heavy acceleration. It's already done that to me once, and scared the shit out of me when I threw the tach needle into the speedo dial.

:angry:

Larry, before you started geting the flares, did you by any chance change your driving habits from routine hard driving to a milder one?

I didn't. If it was anything, it would've been the fact that my parents drove it, and they babied it. But they had it almost a year before this started. But it does this no matter how you drive. I've also reset the computer, and reflashed with the XCal2 to see if that would help. This weekend, I'm planning on a fluid change, a can of Trans-X and a new filter, and I'm trying to schedule an appointment with a transmission shop.

the tranny shop may want to check out the sensors in the transmission maybe those are going bad and not being able to read what gear its in....maybe....

Good Luck, keep us posted.

rob[Broken External Image]:

Well, I changed out the gear position sensor on the side of the transmission, with no change. I actually ended up putting the original back in because on the new one, the Park start switch was a little farther forward, and interfered with my shifter, ie I couldn't start the ST in park. I adjusted the shifter cable, so I could start in park, but then I couldn't get into 1st gear. Hopefully I can take off work to go get this done soon.