2 or 4 tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Kent

Reaction score
I bought 2 new tires for the rear of my 4x4 ST and was told by the shop that did my state inspection I should have done all 4.

The reason given was the worn fronts, when in 4x4, would rotate faster than the brand new rears and could cause problems.

I questioned the slight difference in tire size between the new and old and the mechanic told me it is common in Explorers to cause problems.

Any truth to this?

If the vehicle is awd or auto 4wd it is true. I have changed many a transfer case due to differences in tire sizes on Fords, the max allowable difference in circumference between front and rear tires is 1/2" and all tires of the same size are not equal in diameter, that is why it is important to have the same brand and size of tire installed.

AWD for sure

4WD maybe depends on how much you use 4X4 and what kind of conditions and how much wear you are talking about

safe bet is to change all 4

AWD for sure

4WD maybe depends on how much you use 4X4 and what kind of conditions and how much wear you are talking about

Best answer. :supercool:

My Mom's auto-4WD I did replace them all, my Sport Trac that sees very little 4x4 use, would depend on the amount of wear on the remaining two tires.

This is especially important with the Gen 2 Adrenalin model. I had a flat tire in the rear and because the nail had damaged the sidewall the tire had to be replaced. When I began research I learned that because of the stability system in the AWD the tires all have to be very close. So, I had to replace all 4 of the tires. They had about 26,000 miles and were pretty worn anyway so it was not a wasted expense. So beware!

Latest posts