2 or more 12" subs in a sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Beaulieu

Reaction score
Hey yall, I have a 2003 explorer sport trac. I want to fit at least two 12" subs in there to make it knock when i drive. Can anyone give me some ideas or anything. Thanks!

Something like this may work for you:

[Broken External Image]:

However this box is under construction again. I am revamping the design and working with better materials (fiberglass). I am still debating on whether or not ONE sub will be better. I am concerned with cubic volumes and the interaction between the box and passengers.

LOL, nah i dont want just noise..but you got speakers that sound way to clean like the cerwins, audiobahns, ESX, then you got speakers that knock like the jl audio w6, the kickers and so on....

was just looking for soem ideas not some smartass comments

"I (want) dity bass (to just) knock around".

That's what you said, you didn't say anything about budgets, preferred brands or anything. You simply said you want loud bass that "knocks around". You can get that from Wal-Mart boxes. Problem solved.

The way a speaker sounds has more to do with what amp and the box you got it matched too. It's kinda funny, as the "way to(o) clean" subs you mentioned, only one is really considered an SQ type sub, that being the Vega. Now, by "knock" I assume you mean just loud, regardless of how crappy the sound actually is. Again, any cheap sub from Wal-Mart, Best Buy or similar will get you that.

Give us a little bit more info other then just "knock around bass". That tells us basically nothing. It's like asking, "I want an exhaust that just rumbles, what do I get?". We're not mind readers here. There is alot of knowledge to be gained, but we can't help you unless you help us help you.

bottom line the problem any sport trac owner is going to have is getting subwoofers that do not require a lot of airspace to put out maximum rms. For instance, ive alwyas been a fan of kickers, however, they require a good amount of airspace. "Knock" is more of a term for bass that can "hit hard" there are subs that dont "hit" as hard as other subs. I like competition type of bass. Deep bass that can be heard as your coming down the road. The main issue i am having is picking the best type of subwoofer that doesnt require a lot of airspace to put out maximum rms. We sport trac owners dont have the luxury of having a huge "trunk" to throw some speakers in..

When i had my sport trac (i just traded it in), i wanted the loud bass you want, and i also wanted clean notes...i went with 2 JL 12w3v3s ported subzone box, and put the box on my back seat...Now it took most of the entire back seat up, but i never have more than 2 ppl in my st.. i was running 900 watts rms to them (450rms each) and it was pretty much the loudest system in my area... If space isnt a problem, put the subs on the seat, but otherwise, youre very limited to what you can fit, other than single or dual 8s or 10s mostly. Now with my new truck (2006 Ranger), i am gonna get 2 12w6v2s ported with the JL A1800D amp, and put them in the extended part of the cab, which should be super loud!

good luck

Andy

You can get loud and clean bass. So why would you prefer dirty bass?

I had a 12" MB Quart, powered by a 750watt rms JBL amp, in my rear seat it was clean but not as loud as i wanted it, so I got a JLw6v2 12" powered by 950watt rms amp, that was really really loud but not really clean, so i got the Kicker Comp VX 12", running it at 1 Ohms. Now I love this sub, i only had it for 2 weeks, it's LOUD, extremely loud and really clean too, louder than my JLw6v2. So far so good. I have it in a vented 1.75 cubic ft. box sitting in rear seat, powered 950watt RMS amp. I love it, I love kicker...So far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan:

The set up that is in the photograph hit really well. I set up the system so that each subwoofer worked independent from each other and were controlled by a switch. Meaning that One sub would always be on (the front sub) and the back sub I would turn on whenever I felt like it :). So depending on the music or the impression I wanted to make, I could listen to one sub or two. It was a good idea and I intend on doing it again if I decide to run two subs in the new design.

Now with both subwoofers on I was capable of 105.6 - 106.3 db at its best, clear rating. I was really happy with that. On the same day I tested the db rating of my system, there was another car next to me that had three subs, don’t remember what kind, but he hit 115 db and the difference in sound was amaazing. A jump in 10 db's at this level is a very large increase in volume.

The box in the photo was made as close to spec as I could make it. The speakers were said to want in-between 1.0 - 2.0 cu. ft. of air space. Each compartment had about 1.2 cu ft. I the filled it with polyfill (pillow stuffing :) ) and the speakers were able to hit better ranges of bass.

I would agree with anyone here that says this set up is a bit large for the size of cab that our st's have. I have heard a bunch of single 10's and 12's make really good sound in small cabs before, so don’t think you need to throw a whole bunch of power and speakers in your truck. The bottom line is quality, and placement. Bass is very volumetrically picky and when a bass speaker is tuned right with air space and location, it can go a long way. For example: in my truck the speaker that was closest to the back window would make deeper and better sounding bass then the speaker located almost in the center of the cab. This is because bass loves corners, but once I turned it up, it made a very good impression both inside and outside the truck :).

These are just notes and I hope they help out with making your decision. If I were you I would concentrate on one speaker and maybe a custom made box, professionally made. Really stretch out your money on one subwoofer, the perfect amp, and a professional box. Then they will be responsible for tuning it and the system will get a lot of attention to make things right.

PS: I might be selling some of this equipment. If anyone is interested and by chance reads this, email me at [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy-

I think you'll be happy with two 12" in the back of a Ranger. That's the set-up I've currently got, 2 12" DVC Polk subs, I want to change them to SVC though. As with the DVCs, I'm only getting about 400W RMS, with SVC I can wire it to 2 ohm and get the full 600W RMS my amp is putting out. Even at the lower wattage, the two are louder then the one I had running ar the 600W. I keep the sub volume and EQ down so that my ears don't ring after a good song. My boxes are 1.0 cu/ft sealed, and while the subs drop off a bit below 40Hz, they are plenty loud and clean. There is lots of room to go bigger if you want to go ported.

John:

I stated that I hit those db's at the systems best "clear" rating. That pertains to every speaker in the tuck playing clear crisp music. I didn’t test my system just to see how loud the bass could go. It doesn’t seem to be worth the effort and money to concentrate on just the subs.

Latest posts