2 Questions Please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Chong

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know there are a lot of experts here and I was wondering if you guys/gals can give me some advice on how to fix this. I live in Calgary so it gets pretty cold in the winter so keep in mind that it might crack in the cold when I open the tonneau cover. As you can see, the rubber strip is ripped and scratched up quite a bit. I thought I can just replace that rubber piece but it is not possible. It is rivet onto the tonneau cover.

[Broken External Image]:

Also, is there suppose to be a piece of shield that goes in there? This is the picture of the front wheel well. There are a lot of holes, possible to hold some kind of shield in place but I'm not sure. I haven't been to the dealer to have a look at theirs on the lot.

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your second question.......yes there is a piece of rubber there.......atleast there are on my 01 Sport Trac 4x4. Hope this helps

For your second question,,ford started deleting the sheilds to let more heat out of the engine bay..

Full wheel well skirts Part # XL2Z-16102-AA and XL2Z16103-AA. Some of the early models came with them. FORD cut back but you can purchase them now. About 10 bucks ea if I remember correctly. Order them from Rusty. Hard to tell whats going on with the first picture.

bud, just got em myself and put them on, dont think i put a pic in my library, anyway, Rusty can hook you up, they're not like industrial protection or anything but they will protect it a lot more than the little plastic ones in your pictures. cheap too.

Thanks to the members who have posted the wiring instructions on the notice board for installing the overhead console in the explorer including installing your our harness. I have a 02 ST, Manual shift, 4x2 , love it,so far it has been great, but I would love to install an overhead console. I noticed that in the front of my truck there is a temperature sensor already installed and the wires are running into the loom. I have tried but without any success to tracing this wiring. Does anyone out there know if the sensorcomes standard on all the ST and where does the wire terminate? Thanks for any help given.

01 has the wheel well shields.

Have you tried filling it with black silicone? The tonneau hinge I mean.

Silicone is amazing stuff. i patched a hole in my soft tonneau with it, when some dolt landed a cigarette on it. The patch has held for 3 years now.

That is correct. IIRC, starting on the 2002 Job 2 Trac's Ford qquit putting them on. They said there was a concern about possible overheating.

IMO, it was to reduce costs. If the shields cost Ford 1.00/side, and they produce 70,000 tracs a year, they will save $140,000.

Tom

Thanks everyone again for your great knowledge. I thought so that a piece of something should go in there (for question 2). I will see how much the dealer want for those shield. At least I know now that I'm not the only one without the shield. I do have a '03.

Thanks nobleman, I will try the black silicone. I thought about that but weren't quite sure if I should. No harm in trying and it is cheap as well.

Sorry guys, who is Rusty and I assume he lives in the USA? I'm from Canada, might not be worth it with the exchange rate and custom fees when it crosses the border. But I'll definetly talk to Rusty. Who know, maybe his price is cheaper than the dealer even after all those rates and fees.

Thanks again everyone. CHEERS

I live in edmonton and there is a wrecker here called Allwest Auto Salvage and whenever i am looking for a ST part they have not let me down. Look em up here in edmonton maybe they can help you.

Dallas

Budmelon,

I have a '04 and the wheel liners weren't included. Being in Massachusetts I wanted them for the winter to keep more sand and salt out so I ordered them from Rusty who is a site sponsor. the part # are as follows: Right side XL2Z-16102AA and left side XL2Z-16103AA. Cost is $11.95 each with $9.00 S&H. The website is www.fordpartsfast.com and the Phone # is 800-349-4703 ext. 2886

Good luck,

Ed

I might get those. Without the shields, mud gets all over the engine compartment. Am I correct in assuming these shields will reduce the amount of mud that splashes onto the engine when off-road?

Last edited by a moderator:
They should reduce the mud, yeah. For what it's worth, my '99 Ranger had the shields and my '02 Ranger didn't.