20" Wheel TSB

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Howell

Reaction score
Thanks to this site and a post that had access to full TSBs I found out there was a TSB for Gen 2 20" aluminium wheels to address corrosion around the center cap, TSB 10-11-2.

Mine is just recently out of the 60,000 KM warranty so I miss out on the warranty replacement of the wheels and center caps. Mine are just starting and aren't too bad. I ordered the updated center caps to stop the galvanic corrosion as the replacements are supposed to not react with the rim.

My question is what to do to repair the corrosion that is there? Anyone deal with this issue?

This is a factory screw up, they should have made good on this with an extension as the TSB is only 2 years old.

:cry:

what frustrates me about this TSB is I mentioned the corrosion to my local dealer service writer back when my truck had 28k on it, still under the full warranty. He blew it off and said it was normal wear and tear, and wasn't covered. Acted like I was being too nitpickey. That was just earlier this year, well after the TSB was out. Now at 41k so i guess im SOL since I don't have it documented.

:angry:

Mike, similar situation, Im at 46k and SOL. Still thinking about trying a different dealer?! See if anyone would help with this. Even a percentage would be something.

IMO, that should be a recall. Not a TSB....

It seems that when ford got ahead of the game. During the bailout fiasco. They looked good not taking the bailout. Started showing profit on thier own.

Now they dont give a s*****. There are quite a few TSB's the last few years on most of their products. That should be recalls IMO........

One very critical one is. The electric power steering failures. Costing owners $1200.

I sent this to Ford Canada yesterday

Inquiry/Concerns: I am writing this to express my displeasure with support from Ford in regards to TSB 10-11-2 - 20" wheel corrosion. My truck has just recently gone over the warranty period so according to this TSB the repair is no longer covered.

The galvanic corrosion on my rims is not normal wear and tear, no amount of maintenance would prevent this corrosion as it was an engineering fault at the factory, putting dissimilar metals together that causes a reaction. Is there any potential for extended support to cover this just past warranty?

I got this response today

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre. We received your message sent on 10/3/2012 10:13:15 PM regarding the wheel corrosion on your vehicle. My name is Prosper and it is my pleasure to help you with your query.

Upon verification of our systems and your records, we have determined that there are no factory warranties or programs in effect on your vehicle that would provide assistance for your current concern. We suggest that you keep your repair receipts in case a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program is initiated by Ford of Canada Limited in the future.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,

Prosper

Ford of Canada

Customer Relationship Centre

I am now going to ask to speak to a manager... I still think this is unacceptable.

Just sent

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

I am not satisfied with your conclusion on this issue as it is a DESIGN issue that TSB 10-11-2 is addressing. This design oversight is no fault of my own and the damage to my wheels was going to occur despite my best efforts to maintain my truck properly.

I wish for you to forward this onto your supervisor or manager as I don't believe it is Ford's policy to leave a lifetime Ford customer high and dry due to a engineering oversight.

Thank you again for the response and I look forward to working with you and your management team to come to a mutually agreeable conclusion to this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted FordCustSrvc 'corey' on explorerforum.com. he has been helpful, asked for my dealer info and my phone number. i only have one wheel that is affected, and am planning on having the wheels powdercoated this winter so i prolly wont bother with pursuing it, but he has been willing to help, try messaging him!

Robert,

sounds as if you got the generic, your F'ed letter......:fire:

Your right, this is an engineering flaw......

Ford's lack of caring has been getting worse. Even for some things during the warranty time.

Not just the complaints on this board, but even talking with ford gearheads around my town. Folks are getting the brush off.

Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre. I have received your e-mail sent on 10/4/2012 regarding the wheel corrosion on your Ford Explorer 2009.

We regret the circumstances which have prompted you to contact us. We take pride in being world leaders of automotive products and services and the satisfaction of our customers are of the outmost importance.

As previously communicated to you on 10/04/2012 we feel that every consideration has been given to this matter. As such, we feel it was appropriately addressed in our response. Based on the information you have provided and the data that we have reviewed, our decision remains the same.

We value your business and therefore apologise for any frustration or inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of this situation.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada.

Sincerely,

Ndey

Ford of Canada

Customer Relationship Centre

So again I sent

Thank you again for your reply.

Would you kindly provide me with a warranty manager's or someone responsible with TSBs contact information/email.

Do you have a service receipt stating your issue back at tyhe Low mileage ???

IF it is documented somwhere you can use that as leverage !!

Good luck !!

Todd Z

Same issue on my 2009 Adrenalin. Truck is MINT, except for galvanic corrosion on wheels. Truck has 25K on it but is beyond the 36 month period. Dealer was of no help. They just took one in trade the very day I was at the dealership. It too had four corroded wheels. Ford is ducking this issue. As a multiple Ford owner, I will not be purchasing another. I would think a class action suit might be in order. I will be writing to Consumer Reports about the issue and problems with Ford on this matter.

Latest posts