2001 Manual Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manual Trac

Reaction score
Purchased a 2001 Sport Trac in great shape with a perfect cloth interior. It's a 4x2 and only 48K miles but the best part is... it's a manual transmission! Hoping to just add a locking differential, torsion twist the front end and add 265/75 R16 to the stock aluminum wheels. All comments, opinions, hints and suggestions welcome. Tom

Do basic maintenance before modifications. Change all fluids: engine oil, transmission fluid, differential oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant. Check brake pads/shoes, grease the caliper slide pins and the spring bits in the drums. Change sparkplugs and wires. Change serpentine belt and tensioner. Check for coolant leaking from the seams in the plastic sides of the radiator and the plastic thermostat housing, replace with aluminum parts if needed. If replacing the thermostat housing, also replace the timing chain tensioners after dropping the lower oil pan to check for shrapnel. Inspect all eight body mounts and see if you need new bushings. That should keep you busy for a while. There is more and others will undoubtedly chime in shortly.

Welcome!

Do basic maintenance before modifications. Change all fluids: engine oil, transmission fluid, differential oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant. Check brake pads/shoes, grease the caliper slide pins and the spring bits in the drums. Change sparkplugs and wires. Change serpentine belt and tensioner. Check for coolant leaking from the seams in the plastic sides of the radiator and the plastic thermostat housing, replace with aluminum parts if needed. If replacing the thermostat housing, also replace the timing chain tensioners after dropping the lower oil pan to check for shrapnel. Inspect all eight body mounts and see if you need new bushings. That should keep you busy for a while. There is more and others will undoubtedly chime in shortly.

Welcome!
Hi blert, thank you for replying! I've gone through the entire truck over the past 6 months and replaced the brakes and lines front to back with a few other smalls. The shocks are original as are the 255/70 R16 tires which is why if I'm replacing both I might as well upgrade to the best "factory-ish" setup.

congrats on the ride,,, got to post some pics before and after, did a few mods back when i got mine in 04 and she runs great on or off road.

Very interesting reading on maintenances. I purchased an 03 ST little over a year ago. Spent
$ and I know precluded some jobs that were bound to come up. I replaced the radiator. Had
a split in it on the top right side by the drain. Replaced tensioners. Total tune of engine to
include wires, plugs. Changed oil to AMSoil. Replaced front seal. New Tires. Replaced oil pan
gasket and found time chain bits. The truck just runs perfect. Got 159000. Does not burn oil.
Insides were great like new. I intend to run it maintained until it destructs. Many miles left I think.
Maintain them folks. New trucks are running at $50000 and even higher. Good luck. Jim in FL.

Yep, ditto on Blerts comments.
Replace TimingTensioners+Plugs+Wires+OxSensors every 100kMiles.
Replace JunkPlastic TStatHousing + HeaterControlValve + Radiator with Aluminum\Metal versions.
Oil+Filter change every 5kMiles\6mths.
Click here for more maintenance tips & info.

Last edited:
Good find....

Latest posts