2002 Explorer XLS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carter

Reaction score
It looks like I am going to take the insurance repiar payment and sell the wrecked Trac at auction. The question is a replacement and I think I have found one. A 2002 Explorer XLS 2WD with about 35,000 miles for about $ 8300. The car is very clean and I KNOW I like them.

Is this the same drivetrain as my 02 SportTrac? I think it is.

Anyone know prices for Katzkin leather? I would love to chang ethe cloth to perforated leather.

Any major problems lowering the independent suspensions?

Anything to be wary of, other than the Trans Light Of Death?

I have a 2002 Explorer XLS with 55,000 miles, not sure if the drivetrain is the same but one this to watch out for is the door ajar light. Mine came on and freaked me out. I was driving down the road and my lights on the inside came on, the door ajar light came on and the door ajar sound was going off. A sensor in the door latch was stuck and that is what was causing it. Other than that no problems. You will enjoy it.

Did you keep the cover that was on the bed? I am looking for one for my 04 ST

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
The motor and transmission are the same, but the rest is different from the ST and Ex.

As far as lowering, make sure you have full suspension travel without bottoming out the driveshafts on the frame.

Andrew-

Usually some spray lube will fix that light. It'll happen occassionaly on the Rangers as well, and all it is, is all the gunk and junk gumming up the latch on the inside preventing it from closing all the way, throwing a door ajar light.

Andrew - I haven't sold the truck yet, but I plan to auction it next Thursday in Atlanta. The bed cover is a Tri-Glass hard fiberglass tonneau with gas struts and is painted black.

Ken - Thanks mucho for the info.

How much would you ask for the cover, I am in Greenville SC and could pick it up if you are not to fr away if you are willing to just sell the cover.

Latest posts