2002 Sport Trac Radio/Wipers lose power

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toneybrown07

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
So, for years now intermittently I will lose power to my radio and wipers. To get them working again, I normally just slap the lower dash near the fuse box and everything comes back on. I can go a long time with no problems, and then it will start acting up over and over. What is strange is the clock and things are still illuminated on the radio, just the sound stops until I hit the dash. I have checked fuses and they are tight and I have removed the fuse panel to check for any broken wires near the fuse box and as best I can tell everything seems normal.

What I'm curious about is if the problem could actually be in the column wires. I have had a broken connector in the steering column that caused a plug to slide out when the wheel was lowered causing my brake lights to not work. Also, I can pull my key out of the ignition while the truck is running and to get the key turned all the way to the off position after I park I have to lift slightly on gear shift before the key will turn all the way back. Both not normal, lol.

Could there be something else loose in the column that could be causing this issue? Seeing as the radio/wipers will not work if the key is off, could there be a wire or connection that might make the radio/wipers think the key is in the off position? This old truck has been good to me for many years and I would like to fix this annoying issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts