2002 ST Codes P0401 & P0402 HELP PLEASE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That FIXD link in the fine print states
"Enhanced codes such as ABS, airbag, transmission, & TPMS are NOT supported." NOT good.
Best get an OBD2 Scanner that reads both StandardSAE & ProprietaryOEM TroubleCodes & Data.
Better options run $25~$150 depending on preference:
~ ELM USBModule or ODBLink#EX USBModule & ForscanForWindows
~ OBDLink#MXPlus BlueToothModule & OBDLinkAppForAndroid+ForscanForAndroid
I got the OBD Link MX, and they want another $15.00 for firmware to read OEM and other stuff. Should I buy the optional features? TIA

@Tim OLeary
If you've got an older "MX" ODB2~BlueTooth~SmartPhone module, its obsolete, no longer sold by OBDLink;
recommend sending it back & getting your money back if possible.
If you've got a newer "MX+" OBD2~BlueTooth~SmartPhone module, do keep the firmware updated,
though OBDLink should not charge for firmware updates on the MX+;
need to have it connected in the vehicle OBD2 port with the ignition key ON
+ communicating to your SmartPhone
+ connected to Internet service to do those firmware updates.

@Tim OLeary
If you've got an older "MX" ODB2~BlueTooth~SmartPhone module, its obsolete, no longer sold by OBDLink;
recommend sending it back & getting your money back if possible.
If you've got a newer "MX+" OBD2~BlueTooth~SmartPhone module, do keep the firmware updated,
though OBDLink should not charge for firmware updates on the MX+;
need to have it connected in the vehicle OBD2 port with the ignition key ON
+ communicating to your SmartPhone
+ connected to Internet service to do those firmware updates.
I meant it's an LX.
It's pretty good so far except I cannot seem to input the VIN, and the part where they shake me down for an additional $15.(LOL)
There are also other parameters which I do not know what they mean.
But it works pretty good, better than the other really cheap one I bought, and it actually says it is OK to leave it in the under dash port all the time as it doesn't drain the battery.
TIA

I am using the OBDLink now. I like it.
They mention third party interfaces besides the OBLink one. There are so many settings on the app I do not know how to set or interpret. It won't let me enter my VIN.
Which other app do you recommend?
So I am getting a code saying the EGR valve is not working. I replaced the EGR sensor last month. this code (0400 I think) has popped up twice in a few days.

The existing EGR valve is XC2E-9D475-A3A. Should I take it off and try to clean it or just replace it, and what brand valve is recommended.
TIA

How do I test for vacuum leaks? Can the same tester for the EGR be used for testing for vacuum leaks? I see some testers for about $20 on Amazon.

With the LX am insure. Using the MX+ and EX here.

How do I test for vacuum leaks? ...
In the projects section, I posted a howto on how to make a smoke machine for vacuum leak hunting. If you have the parts laying around it is simple and much safer than the flamable method. Helped me find a bunch of vacuum hoses that were shot and needed replacing. Give it a look.

I just got my valve cover gaskets replaced.
Up until then had a really big smoke machine.
I put up with it for a few years but then it really got bad, and it was sort of embarrassing. Put it on the credit card.
I was expecting someone to call the fire department and they'd surround my truck out front of Walmart. Maybe they'd pop the door and peek around.

I want to test my EGR valve and the stuff I've seen says use a vacuum device to control the vacuum to test its function then use it to monitor the EGR for a leak. That's the immediate project, but it is essential to find other leaks as well.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find it!

In the projects section, I posted a howto on how to make a smoke machine for vacuum leak hunting. If you have the parts laying around it is simple and much safer than the flamable method. Helped me find a bunch of vacuum hoses that were shot and needed replacing. Give it a look.

Just wondering how long did it take to fix the throttle body leak? New gasket?
A few minutes, plus a few more minutes to clean it while it was off. Just needed a new o-ring.

I just got my valve cover gaskets replaced.
Up until then had a really big smoke machine.
I put up with it for a few years but then it really got bad, and it was sort of embarrassing. Put it on the credit card.
I was expecting someone to call the fire department and they'd surround my truck out front of Walmart. Maybe they'd pop the door and peek around.
I can relate to the smoke problem! The valve cover gaskets on my '01 are practically non-existent, especially the driver's side. I stopped driving it to work - where I parked in a parking ramp - last year out of concern somebody would freak out. I retired in Nov, so that's not a problem now. I had to drive it for 6-7 weeks while I figured out a brake problem with my '02 ST recently. The last straw was when I took my granddaughter to school last week. I turned to look as the teacher opened the door to let her out, and all the smoke was concentrated right where the teacher was. I doubled down and got the '02 fixed.

Regarding changing spark plugs - the ones you can see, are hard to get a socket on. The ones you can't see are not hard to get to. Take the front tires off and go through the wheelwell for the ones you can't get from the top. And you will need a variety of swivels and extensions.