2002 ST Stalling when first starting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought is an intermittent fuel pump or fuel RAIL pressure sensor. Had the same symptoms as you but threw a check engine light (CEL) and a p0193 trouble code. Do you have a CEL or any trouble codes? CEL does NOT have to be lit to have stored trouble codes.

The symptom is not constant, but now when I am driving it seems at about 2K the engine starts to stall and I have to let up on the gas peddle and slowly press it. Can't use the vehicle until this is resolved. TIA

When is the last time you changed your air filter? I'd start there. I had the same problem turns out it was my filter being saturated with dust. I work down a 12 mile dirt road abd my problem was due to a clogged air filter.

Fuel filter OK? Intermittent issues are the worst. I haven't used ForSCAN yet, but sounds like live data would be the easiest way for you to diagnose. If you have access to a Windows laptop all that's needed is a $20 dongle and a free download. Reported to be useful as a dealer only machine costing thousands years ago. Do some research and GL

Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, IACValve, MAFSensor, TPSensor are all possibilities. Id start by giving the MAFSensor, ThrottleBody, IACValve all a good cleaning, see if that helps, before swapping out parts.

I had this issue for 5 years and only tolerated it because wasn't my daily driver. Mine is a 2001. Finally replaced the fuel vapor sensor on top of the gas tank and fixed my needle in the hay stack problem. Mine never kicked out any codes either. You'll find the problem with the help from members on this site. Just be patient. Yours maybe or maybe not the same as my configuration with a non-returnable file system. Anyway here's the $80 part. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Mine throws codes for that sensor occassionally, but there never seemed to be any connection with engine performance. I'll investigate it.
Thanks.

Latest posts