2003 2WD Transmission Oil change disaster - need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, let me get this straight, you accidentaly filled tranny fluid down the oil dipstick tube? You mentioned filling tranny fluid somewhere but I could not find you mentioning where. Just curious, not trying to add injury to insult or whatever. And if I'm reading things right, I'm surprised that tranny fluid in the engine will not result in outright catastrophic failure or breakdown

Yup, that is what he did. I really don't think it would have caused any damage to the engine with the little amount of time that he ran his engine after "filling" the tranny. If he drove it for a week like that, yeah maybe, but he didn't.

Mistakes happen, I am sure he now knows what he has to do.

Todd Z

David.....R U Blonde? J/K :) Sorry....I'm sure your kicking yourself over all this...hopefully everything will be ok with your ST.

I don't mess with any of that stuff on my truck since I do fear that I'll mess up in some way....so I pay the bucks to have someone else do it for me.

I don't understand why Ford decided to remove the trans dip stick from the engine compartment. I don't like to rely on just sensors to tell me if something is wrong.

Desert,

Ford was not the first to do this.....

BMW, Mercedes, GM, Most make cars that have no dipstick on them now....

Also how can motor companies accurately real world test their tranny if owners can mess with it having a dipstick tube...

Considering we know the history of Ford and their transmissions..

Todd Z

I don't know, I just have always liked the idea of being able to check fluid levels without having to crawl under my car.....wouldn't surprise me that sometime in the future, Ford and others will remove the oil dipstick as well

OK - me again. Found the correct dip stick under the radiator hose - both are YELLOW by the way for the 2003. Oil one is not labeled. Tranny one is labeled but hidden under the upper radiator hose. I have to pull it up and over the oil fill cap to get at it. I drained all 12 quarts our of the engine - it overfilled by oil filler container. No I'm not blonde but my wife is. I put in the correct amount of tranny fluid and put a new oil filter on and new oil -

Truck runs great - no problems at all. I plan on changing the oil again in a week - trying to as much of the tranny fluid out of the engine - I let it drain for over an hour as it was cold - not hot - I only ran the engine a few times for like 20 or 30 seconds - I think its fine and the transmission worked immediately as soon as I started the engine and it had the oil in it pump around - no problems.

I'm such an idiot.

later - dps

"I'm such an idiot."

David - I've taken on and succeeded with projects that made folks ask "How do you know how to do all these things?". I've also done some stuff that makes your goof pale in comparison. Poured gas on a fire that had "gone out" and when the column of flames erupted, ran away carrying the flaming gas container with me. While clearing it, stuck my hand about 1/4" too far into the output of a yard chipper.

Don't sweat it. But, only tell people who you won't mind hearing about it from for the rest of your life, cause you hafta admit, it is a good one. ;-)

Happy holidays.

David....

Good to hear everything is ok with your mess up... :)

Just maybe, Ford decided to remove the trans dipstick in the '07's for this reason...so that people don't get the two mixed up.

Anyway, bet you'll never do that again :)

I could not agree more with PMcD. I have made mistakes too.

I have NEVER taked a formal automechanics class. Everything I know, I learned on my own. At age 16, a friend and I pulled a 383 out of a Plymouth Fury III and replaced it with a 440.

Nobody explained it to me about how to pull an engine. My buddy and I were pretty much in the dark about everything. We did it back together and it ran great.

I will not go into detail about the mistakes I made, but I will say this.

Anyone that never makes a mistake never does anything.

Mechanics make mistakes all the time. Unfortunatly, many times, those are the cases when you had one small issue and there was MANY things that were unrelated to each other causing it, yet you are getting charged. You have an exaust manifold leak, but they also found your wires were bad. Umm, yea...right.

Tom