2003 ST Rust on the doors and in the engine compartment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I'm beginning to show signs of significant rust on the bottom of all the doors and various spots in the engine bay. I purchased the truck new from the dealer in April 2003. Is this common? I was in one accident in which I was rear ended. I don't see any signs of over spray/repair work. It garage kept and cleaned frequently.

What is the warrenty on rust/corosion?

Al,

See link...

Todd Z

Big Al,

I lived up in the Detroit area for 30 years! I know they can have a tendency to salt I-696

and Big Beaver Roads like there is no tomorrow! I think this is what you are fighting!

Try Ziebart (tm) the next vehicle you get!

;)

Try Ziebart (tm) the next vehicle you get!

Practically all recent vehicles have at least 100,000 mile and 6 or 7 year rust-through warrantees. If you get Ziebart or other after-market rust-proofing you will likely void your rust through warrantee.

I have a 02 ST and have rust on the tailgate,hood hinges and doors, Fords view on this warranty issue is, unless it eats all the way thru its only cosmetic.

BTW- This vehicle was Zbart(sp) when I bought it new in 02.

Maybe its normal. It might be a weekend project to wet sand and touch up the rusted areas. Then clear coat it.

Has anybody attempted to any rust prevention sprays other than ziebart? Maybe some over the counter products?

A good flushing every spring with a garden hose and a high pressure nozzle, is what I use to do

when I lived in Michigan, and did detailing on the side. A lot of automatic car washes

use recycled water, which is basically giving your vehicle a salt bath!!! i wouldn't trust

them!

Latest posts