2004 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drkhorse

Supporting Member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I’ve had a 98 explorer and the wife has had two rangers but this is our first sport trac. 04 XLT 4x4, it’s got a list of things to do to get it where it needs to be, but we just got it so it’ll get there. My main want it to swap in a 98 4.0L OHV from a doner vehicle sitting in my yard.

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpeg
    IMG_3165.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the Herd; lots of friendly knowledgable folk in these forums.
Your 2004 SportTrac has the V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin, not the V6~4.0L~OHV.
Completely different incompatible engines; swap requires moving Electronics + Harness + Computer\PCM +...
along with Engin from donar vehicle to the 2004 ST.
1998 controls are also likely not compatible with the 2001+Later version of the 5r55e Trans in the 2004 ST
(different Transmission sensor arrangement & housing) so older Trans would be needed in the swap.
Assuming your 2004 V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin &\or 5r55e Trans are shot & need to be replaced\rebuilt?
Might make more sense to rebuild what you have or find suitable newer lower mileage 2001~2012 replacements.
I'd avoid any V6~4.0L~SOHC block 2002 or older due to FailureProne TimingTensioner+Guide design.
You need a 2001 or newer 4WD version of the 5r55e Trans.

Welcome @Drkhorse

Always nice to see new members with automotive experience share their knowledge. I have a 2005 with 90,000 miles that sounds like a broken primary tensioner when cold or at normal operating temp. I know it's the easy one to replace, but need an excuse to drop in a 302. Probably self inflicted when I was tweaking the throttle body stop screw and over revved the cold engine. I realize Ford says to NEVER touch the screw but I didn't listen. Considered a "bulletproof 4.0L OHV" conversion, but can't convince myself because of the 50 HP reduction (160HP vs. 210HP). Seriously thinking of finding a 5.0L (302) donor and going that route but aware it's more labor and also requires a 4R70W transmission, different PCM, and additional wiring. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

I would say they are a lot more compatible than you think. I would look into getting a cam from CompCams(?) and some higher flow injectors like dark blue 24lb/hr. Then you would raise the horsepower from 160 to 220ish or more. I think the “X” engine is better than the “E” engine.

Thanks for your input. I seen online where a guy swapped in a 302 from a 96 explorer into his 04 sport trac, that’s where I got my idea. I know I’ll need much more research but I hate the 4.0 SOHC engine. I don’t need a road burner, just something I can depend on.

4.0L SOHC is actually very stout. Bottom end is almost bulletproof and rarely hear about issues. Achilles heel has ALWAYS been the plastic timing guides that deteriorate over time and break. Years ago I was writing and begging reputable aftermarket engine parts companies such as Cloyes and Melling to design and manufacture metal reinforced timing chain guides for the 4.0L SOHC. Out of desperation even wrote to Dorman Products. Never heard back from any of them.

4.0L SOHC is actually very stout. Bottom end is almost bulletproof and rarely hear about issues. Achilles heel has ALWAYS been the plastic timing guides that deteriorate over time and break. Years ago I was writing and begging reputable aftermarket engine parts companies such as Cloyes and Melling to design and manufacture metal reinforced timing chain guides. Out of desperation even wrote to Dorman Products. No interest from any of them.
That would’ve been an awesome upgrade! But we must remember, one doesn’t really make money on the car, one makes money on the parts to keep the car going. 😁

^ Definitely.

50% of new car dealership profits are from service and parts.

I’ve talked to a mechanic friend of mine about this swap and he said he could do it, he would need the ECM and a few other things.
I was reading peeps putting the coyote engine in the ST, sweet idea! I guess it just boils down to how much money you want to spend on a project.

Latest posts