2007 Michelins are shot at 14.5K Miles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Barnes

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Limited 4x4 V8 I bought new in July and it has 14,500 miles now. I have stock 18 inch Michelins that are about three fourths worn out ALREADY:angry:. Here's the scoop: I drive 64 miles each way to work four days a week across the continental divide on Interstate 70 in Colorado. My driving is 99% highway with speeds of 60 to 70. I have rotated the tires with each oil change (<5K miles). The inflation is checked weekly and the wear is even across all four tires! I took it into the dealer Monday and was told they had to contact Ford and I was promised a call today but it did not come.... Am I surpried:eek:?

Has anyone else had this kind of wear? I had a 2002 ST with factory Michelins I traded at 57K with decent tread left. I had a 2005 ST with Wranglers I traded at 37K with decent tread left.

Other than this, I love the 07. More stable:), better ride:D, faster;), crappy engine/Tranny response:angry:.

BTW, how much do these odd size tires cost anyway?

Thanks,

MountainTrac

That's interesting, my 07 V8 has 13.5K miles on the factory Michelin's but they are not even worn 1/4 the way down. I just had the alignment redone by Ford about 1,000 miles ago because they started feathering a bit on the extreme outside edge of the tires. Bet even with that, they are not nearly as worn as what yours seem to be. Also, about 3K miles were towing a 4500lb trailer...

This wear is unbelievable. I compared the tread to the spare, and about three quarters is gone. I have never had this poor of performance from a Michelin.

Lil Red is your Trac 4x4? I wonder if there is an underlying suspension issue:wacko:?

about to hit 30k, V8 4x4 Limited and I am willing to bet that I won't make it all the way through winter on them. The tread is real close to almost nothing on them now... I liked the same tire on my '01 and made it almost 50k and then they didn't have to be replaced... Not too many choices out there for replacement either in the stock size right now...

At 8500 miles, my stock Michelins had 3/32 left. I had them warrantied by Ford. My Toyos that I replaced them with have 5k on them and they look brand new.

You used Toyo tires? Please tell me you don't watch UFC :)

Do they actually work? Considering how (insert expletives) messed up UFC is, I can't see anything they endorse being good.

(If you have no idea what I'm having a mini-rant on, consider yourself lucky...sometimes ignorance is bliss)

Mountain Trac, my 07 is not a 4x4....

There was a post on this exact same subject about a month or so ago and there were quite a few replies, do a search for it to get more input n this. You're not the only one having this problem.

Dingo, If my dealer doesn't warranty these tires I may want to get some info from you about your settlement if you don't mind.

Thanks Lil Red.... I found the thread.

Well, I switched to the Toyos and left the tire store and drove the Michelins directly to the dealer. The ford field rep had to come and inspect them, and then they asked me if I wanted new crappy Michelins or if I wanted to be reimbursed for the Toyos. I took them the receipt from the Toyos and they issued me a check.

same here on my 07 4X4 lmtd, 23K and they can probbaly get another 5K out of them. but i will end up changing them before the snow falls

I have had my OEM Michelins (cross terrains) for 10 months now on my 07 4X4 Limited and they are brand new! I did take them off the truck with only 70 miles on them and put on Toyo Proxes ST 275/55 R18, but they are almost new and showing no wear stacked in the corner of my garage. ;) /Brad

Toyo's are awesome! Haven't had them on ice or snow yet so the jury is still out. I had all 4 siped when installed so I hope the winter handling will be acceptable. They look, ride and perform fantastic.

You used Toyo tires? Please tell me you don't watch UFC

Do they actually work? Considering how (insert expletives) messed up UFC is, I can't see anything they endorse being good.

Toyo tires rock, I loved the Open Country A/Ts on my ST.

i have 15000 on 07 sport trac ltd with v8 michelins are 80% done i also have a lurching problem with transmission think they may be related. does your sport trac lurch foward in bumber to bumper traffic and if so do you thyink its the tranny or 4wd sensors

I am not in traffic much.... But the tranny does have issues that vary from surging on cruise control to hesitaion.... I've pretty much given up.

Ford has offered a new set of Michelins for 2/3 off... I have to pay $320. I am not sure it's a ood deal.

I have only 5500 miles, and have picked up two punctures in the Michelins; a drywall screw today and a pop-rivit just before Thanksgiving. I can't remember the last time I got a puncture on any previous vehicle. Anybody else finding the Michelins more prone to picking up road hazards?

I still have the original Michelins that came off my 07 before I took delivery. 0 miles. $500 if anyone is interested. BTW, BFG 265/65/R18 All-Terrain TAs are awesome. ;)

Bobbo, see TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 07-23-2 in my library. It could resolve the lurching issue you are having....

I don't want to hi-jack this thread so for addtional info do a search for the thread that talks about this TSB in more detail.

Latest posts