2007 Radiator replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPenny Peluso

V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
The small amount of coolant that has been leaking between the core and driverside tank of the radiator has gone long enough, it's time to replace it.

I see there are two different radiators for this V-6 w/air in 2007. Pre 8/7/06, and later.

Anyone know the difference? Yes, mine is the pre 8/7/06.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know in the Gen 1 Ford changed the radiator mid stream.,.... Probably a cary over from the 06 explorer and then they made a ST specific rad or something....

i would order the one based on your build date...

Todd Z

So, was this radiator issue a V-6 only issue? Or was it the same radiator for the V-8? I have heard some say that the program had the fan coming on at a higher temp and that helped the radiators fail early. If you got a later updated program for say the tranny, would this update the fan issue? I know my MPG on the dash was off before the update but is now right on the money so I know they changed other things in the ST's program.

'07 ST

TSB 09-8-1 just addresses v6. I went to ford about this since it seemed to be a very common problem. I didn't get a definate answer about the price difference but the TSB says to "replace the radiator with the updated radiator" so I just assumed it was like a heavier duty radiator or something like that. They said they have replaced several. (It affects 06 explorers and mountaineers and 07 tracs made before 8/8/06) They did tell me that if you replaced the radiator that without the program update for the fan, that it would just do it again. They had one guy replace 4 in a year! I also asked about the tranny update and they made it sound like it the tranny update and fan update were two different updates and they would charge seperately for them. I havent gotten anywhere, yet, but I'm pretty irate since it came from the factory defected. IF you got radiator from ford and had them put it in and update the programming....that's almost $1,000. I filed a complaint with ford and suggest you do the same.

I read an article, dont remember where. Also there is a video on U-tube about it.

The genereation explorer that the gen2 trac is from. They have an electrolsis problem. Causing radiator failure. The only way ford solved it was, the aluminum alloy difference in the exchanger.

Latest posts