2007 Test - My thoughts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreman

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right category, but whatever...

I found a 2007 on a dealers lot the other day, and we took it out for a spin. I told the salesman I wasn't looking to buy right now, but we have a 2003 we like and we're looking ahead, and he accepted that. Also, it would have to have a PDBL, which this one didn't have. All their new orders have that option, though. If you are in the Houston area, try Mac Haik Ford, and stay away from Tomball Ford and Planet Ford, unless you just really like pushy salesmen. They didn't have any Sport Trac brochures, though.

From my short ride, I like the ride and handling better, and the feel of the V8. EPA mileage is the same as our 2003 V6. The interior, in my opinion, especially the doors, really needs some help. There's plenty of room, but the details need work. Who thought of putting the pull handle under the armrest? And the inside door release is odd up there in that piece that looks like trim. I found it ok, but I can see having to explain to everyone at least once where the door handle is to get out. I assume the information center is supposed to replace the missing gauges, but I didn't have time to check that out. Center consoles in trucks are a personal pet peeve of mine. The new Trac's are wider than before. With that much room, why not make it another seat, with a fold-down backrest?

The bed bins need to have better access from outside the bed, especially the front one. How about a finger notch near the sidewall? It's a nifty idea, but I can see having to empty the bed to get to something I stuck in there. The interior bins behind the back seat are now only one, on the drivers side. The other side now has extra open space behind the seat.

Overall I like it, but those doors should be changed. It reminds me of the 1979-81 Mustangs, with those down-at-floor-level door release handles. Maybe it seemed cute, but they didn't work.

The job 2s will have new pull handles. The releases will stay the same though. I agree about the bins. Not sure what you mean by a finger notch near the sidewall though.

Hey, Mac Haik Ford is where I bought mine. If they would sell me the 07 for what I paid for my 02 ($19,500) I'd go for it. :rolleyes:

The driver-side latch actually "pops" the front box bin panel up, I think the design intent was that customers would be able to lift it after doing so. (Unless it gets stuck...which hopefully it won't!)

The finger notch is that part of the gap around the edge that is wider so you can get your finger in there to lift it up. The one I looked at did not pop up when I pulled the latch. Instead, I had to get into the bed to get to the finger notch in the center of the lid's back edge.

I just got mine last week. I like the door openers, but the pull handles suck.

The lids for the bed storage NEED TO BE SPRING LOADED, it's a pain to hold open and put stuff in.

I love the console personally, wouldn't have bought it without it.

These are just my personal thoughts about the things I could see on a short drive, and really have nothing to do with the more important items like how long the truck will last or how well it will survive an accident. I trust Ford and my track record with them to get that right. And I did a search and didn't find much on the door handles, but my search parameters may have been too narrow.

Some people are just too critical of the things people write.

dreman, yours, and others, opinions are truthfully helpful to some of us who haven't gotten to test-drive the new ST. Most people won't expect you to search the archives to see if your opinion was already expressed by someone else. I guess that's what makes it your opinion.

dreman, you are certainly entitled to your opinion no matter how many times others have expresed the same or similar opinion on the same or similar issue. As a matter of fact, since it has been expressed so much it obviously means that it's a valid issue. This valuable feedback will get back to Ford and i'm quite certain that it will eventually get resolved.

Oh yeah. Ford lurks here. They may not post, or join, but they are here and I know they read and sometimes heed. Sites like this are a big source of feedback for them. That's why they keep sponsoring Louisville. Like anyone will stroll into their local dealer and give that kind of honest feedback to a dealer. Keep 'em coming...

Hey dreman, thanks for the review... I also think the door handles on the inside are really odd.

Oh, and I think some people purposely try to sound like an ass... just to get a reaction ... they're probably not even like that in person... ya know... the "tough guy syndrome." We're devided by miles so anything goes... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: