2007 Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Barnes

Reaction score
Well, with 33,000 miles, I took my 05 Trac in to get the cruise control worked on before my regular warranty ran out. The cruise would not engage immediately.. I had to push the button many times. :angry: I also asked for a quote on new tires which came in at $600+ so I decided to wait a bit longer for those. :huh: While at the dealer, I checked out the 07 Tracs and before I could leave, I bought a 2007 Trac (4x4 limited V8) in light silver. I have x-plan pricing so I got it at that price with 66 month zero percent financing. I was ready to go for the 60 month 0% financing and the finance guy said: Do you wat 66 months at 0%? :wacko: I was shocked, but accepted then added the 5 year 100K premium-care $100 deductable warranty for $1200. Payments ended up $31.00 less than my 05 4x4 XLT Trac which I traded in for $17K.

This is my third Trac, I also had a 2002 for a couple of years. Bottom line: Ford did some great things with this one: Quiet ride, nice creature features, electronic stability control, much safer feeling suspension, side air bags, roll curtain air bags, and, of course nice new Michelin tires.

So... not a bad deal: I got a new Trac with lower payments with a 100K warranty and brand new tires with no money out of pocket!

If you are like me and don't believe in having a car as a paid for asset, but rather cash flow it on a monthly basis as the expense it truly is, then you should go to your Ford dealer and look into the zero percent financing... it could put you in a new Trac. :D

MountainTrac

5 year 100K premium-care $100 deductable warranty for $1200.

First repair is gonna cost you $1300, you know that right?

I think extended warrenties are a gimmick.

Congrats on the Trac, AWESOME COLOR CHOICE!:)

0% financing can be more expensive, depending on what downpayments you put on it and the length of the loan.

I saved $700.00 by taking the rebate and paying intrest on the money I borrowed.

Tom

Congrats and good luck wit it !!!!

Todd Z

Congrats, Mountain. Sounds as if you got a decent deal, all in all. I sold a 98 Ranger 4x4, 3.0L for $9800 cash, added about $5000 to it down, got the x-plan as well, took the 1.9% for 4 years on the balance. I owe just under $14000 on the LTD with everything but the high-end stereo, sunroof and leather. Payments are just under $400/month for 48. I'm a happy guy with that. Post some pics of that ST, I like that color choice, also. Mark;)

First repair is gonna cost you $1300, you know that right?

Well, that is certainly one way to look at it, but not necessarily accurate. You can't place a true value on an extended warranty until your truck gets to 100k. If you would have spent $5,000 in repairs from mile 36,001 to 100k, that $1300 would not only be prorated over the years but would have saved you $3700 (Less deductibles, of course).

In my case I purchased a '02 used with an extended warranty already in place, and the warranty company spent over $5000 just from 36k to 55k. And that didn't include the $1500 that I had to pay for portions of the repairs that they DIDN'T cover. There is no question that you are gambling that repairs will cost more than $1300 from 36k to 100k and they are gambling that they won't, but after a few years with several Fords over 36k, I will take that bet every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dcpmark says:
If you would have spent $5,000 in repairs from mile 36,001 to 100k...

If anyone ever spends $5K in repairs for any vehicle between 36k and 100k miles it should be the very last time they ever buy a vehicle from that manufacturer.

My price-point is 10% of MSRP. If I have to put another 10% of the MSRP into a car between the time it goes off warranty and 100K miles, then it is a lemon, IMHO, and the manufacturer clearly doesn't want my business.

Other than normal maintainance a vehicle should be problem free up to 100K miles...IMHO.

TJR

If anyone ever spends $5K in repairs for any vehicle between 36k and 100k miles it should be the very last time they ever buy a vehicle from that manufacturer.

As someone who has never owned anything except trouble-free BMWs and Porsches, I agree....in theory. I bought a '98 Ranger in 2001 as a daily driver/beater, and never had much trouble with that truck. But I LOVED the Sport Trac concept when they came out. When the Ranger got totaled in '04, I quickly picked up an '02 Sport Trac with 20k, and when the extended warranty it came with was about to run out, I sold it and picked up the '07. The Trac keeps getting better and better, but after my experience, I will NEVER own one without a warranty. The Avalanche/Escalade/Hummer SUT are too large in size, don't justify the price tags, and I wouldn't trust them without warranties, either, which is why I will probably stay with a new Trac every three years....:D

congrats.

and good luck.

as a former owner of a 02 & 04, i agree that the ride, power, quality and comfort are a great improvement over the gen 1 tracs.

now its time for a mod throttle body from zabteck and maybe an exhaust :D

As someone who has never owned anything except trouble-free BMWs

No offense, but after 9.5 years living in Germany, I've never seen a trouble-free BMW. Most everyone had cooling/head/head gasket issues after just a few years. In my experience, short term ownership is great, but long term will much less enjoyable. Still, if you've had good luck with them, that's great.

No offense, but after 9.5 years living in Germany, I've never seen a trouble-free BMW. Most everyone had cooling/head/head gasket issues after just a few years.

I can only speak for myself. I've owned an '85 325e (new to 120k miles), an '89 325i convertible (18k to 101k miles), a '94 850ci (6k to 12k miles), a '96 840ci (30k to 85k miles), and two '99 M3 convertibles (one new to 36k miles, the other 22k to 36k miles), and not one of them had cooling/head/head gasket issues. The 850ci had oil gasket issues since it sat around unused for almost 5 years before I bought it, but that's hardly BMW's fault. Maybe I've just been lucky with BMWs and Porsches, and was unlucky with my '02 Sport Trac, but I can't imagine driving anything these days except my '07 Trac WITH a factory warranty.....:D

If you are like me and don't believe in having a car as a paid for asset, but rather cash flow it on a monthly basis as the expense it truly is

Congrats on the new Trac...but help me understand why you would spend $1200 on an extended warranty for a vehicle that already has a 6 yr 60K miles warranty when you "don't believe in having a car as a paid for asset, but rather cash flow it on a monthly basis as the expense it truly is." Sounds to me like you already know you will own the vehicle for less than 5 yrs so I don't quite understand how/why purchasing the extended warranty would be the most cost effective thing to do?