2007 V8 Oil "Suggestion"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Doughtie

Reaction score
I was talking with my father today about Todd's TB and changing my oil at the same time. He asked what oil it took, and I said I have no clue...maybe what the other one did. I grab the manual and it says to use use 5W-20 synthetic (5W-30 synthetic for the V-6). He started laughing. He said they have done that basically to get away with the lightest oil they can use to get the best gas mileage. Plus, he said, they can mark up the oil b/c it is "synthietic". Amazing what they try and get away with. You can use a conventional oil, but the average Joe off the street has no clue how to figure that out. I had planned on running synthetics in it anyway. Just funny what they will build a car with and suggest to make a buck.

Nonthing wrong with the lighter weight oils. Todays engines are built with closer tolerances than those of yore. IMO, synthetic blend will do just fine and cost half the price. I have been using motorcraft syn-blend for years...:D

To be considered a blend it only has to have 5-6% synthetic in it. Motorcraft 5-20 blend isn't much more expensive than straight dino oil and nowhere near what pure synthetic is.. Ford's real touchy about you using heavier oil and void the warranty..

You can use any good oil; dino, blend or full syn as long as it meets Ford's specs. The Motorcraft Blend meets all specs and, I believe, is somewhere around 60% syn/40% dino. I've been using it and have also tested full syns and I can't tell any difference in mpg or oil condition at change time. Can tell you that the MC blend, after 5,000 miles, still has enough additive [detergency] that it cleans all the road grime and grease off my hands that always seem to get there while changing the oil. Other posts here have had links to an oil testing house that has evidence that it compares very favorably with the full syn oils. In the final analysis, it's up to you and what makes you feel good. Save some money and us the MC blend, or spend more and feel better. Your engine won't know the difference.

I have been using Mobil 1 in all my vehicles for years. Probably the same results as using dino oil, but I would feel bad putting something else in.....

The gas mileage thing is true, but there is nothing wrong with running 5w-20 in an engine that is designed for it. I have several used oil analysis from my wife's Taurus with a few different 5w-20 oils and they're all perfectly fine. In fact the Motorcraft UOA was virtually identical to the Mobil 1 and the Motorcraft costs half as much, soooo......

Don't be fooled by old-school people who think that thick oil is good and thin oil is bad.

Also in most applications a 5w-30 dino is functioning at a 20 weight viscosity after about 2000 miles anyway. My Neon beat the snot out of a quality 10w-30 after 3000 miles, wear metals were fine but the viscosity was toast.

I've seen a lot of Motorcraft UOA's posted at BobIsTheOilGuy.com, it starts out as a 20 but it holds its viscosity very well.

123K miles on my '94 Ranger supercab. Change the oil myself every 5 to 7K. Nothing but Mobil 1 synthetic. Engine has performed flawlessly.

The '07 Trac replaces the Ranger which will go up for sale next week. Guess what oil I'll be running in the Trac?