2008 V8 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC2008SportTrac

Reaction score
Hello, all! New Sport Trac owner in Tulsa, OK. I've loved the looks of these vehicles since I first noticed them 10-15 years ago. I knew they were not F150's, not Lightnings, but something different. It wasn't until I required a pick-up bed recently that I really started digging, and learned about the Sport-trac!

I've always been a Ford guy, and more specifically, a Mustang guy. I've only driven Mustangs for the last 28 years (I had a 1970 Buick Skylark GT350 and a 1970 Monte Carlo before that), but this is my first 'pickup-truck'. But I LOVED the looks of these from the first day I saw them, same as I loved the Lightnings. My Sport-Trac is a 2008 V8 4X4, black exterior, grey cloth interior (my GF has a black '06 Explorer with black leather interior, and I wish mine had that so much!!)

I'm going to be reading big-time here, as I'll be keeping this vehicle for a the forseeable future. I love the looks, and the truck-bed. I'm a Mustang guy at heart (most recent a 2010 Shelby GT500), but the looks of these trucks, especially if they can take a bit of upgrading of the powertrain, will hopefully keep me a fan for a long time! And I need to keep a truck bed in my life from now on, so it's this, F150, or Lightning :) In my opinion, these are better looking than the F150's, and a little more practical than a lightning (at least until I get to dig into the motor and throw a Kenne-Belle on it!) :)

Oh, and if they use the same 4.6, 3-valve, I've had a KB on one of those, and it woke it up nicely :) Just don't know what all these require in the terms of fuel-delivery, etc., that the mustangs did. LIkely similar, but the 3v wakes up well to forced induction.

Oh, and if they use the same 4.6, 3-valve, I've had a KB on one of those, and it woke it up nicely :) Just don't know what all these require in the terms of fuel-delivery, etc., that the mustangs did. LIkely similar, but the 3v wakes up well to forced induction.
Perhaps you guys that have done similar can help answer those questions: Do the 4.6 3-valves in these respond the same to power adders as do the 4.6 v-8's in the Mustangs? Do they use the same block and heads, have the same fuel delivery, etc.? How do the rear-ends (and I guess front-ends, since I now have a 4x4) hold up to increased HP? Am I just asking for trouble if I try to add a power-adder, as I've never owned a 4x4?

Thanks!

JC

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of having a ton of upgrades done to my 2007 ST, & to be honest the only thing I haven't gotten into on the truck is under the hood. So I'm basically adding a comment here so I can follow future replies because I'd like to know myself.

I'm in the middle of having a ton of upgrades done to my 2007 ST, & to be honest the only thing I haven't gotten into on the truck is under the hood. So I'm basically adding a comment here so I can follow future replies because I'd like to know myself.
I bought my 2007 ST Limited 2WD with 146000. I now clocked 240000. First thing I did was install a K&N cold air intake. Simple installation and they tell you exactly which bolts to move and which to just loosen. Huge improvement and instant engine rumble. At 192k I had my local mustang speed shop install a Ford performance cam 6550M with new followers and lifters, Flow Master 40 muffler (still single exhaust)and retuned with a SCAT4 tuner. It idles and sounds like a 5.0L mustang. Granted it’s a sleeper, and much faster than stock but you’re not going to out run a performance mustang. I also replaced the stock valve covers with blue Ford Performance from American Muscle. (A mustang catalog) I said I had a 4.6l 2007 3 valve engine and the fit was exact. Not sure how this would work on a 4x4 but worth asking your local mustang speed shop.

Welcome. Fellow Tulsan here. Love my 2005 SportTrac, also have a Mustang!

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_191644409_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210725_191644409_HDR.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts