• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SportTrac Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted 2010 4.0 xlt 4x4 PCM

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Having PCM trouble again. I have gone through this twice before. First time local mech tried to replace it unsuccessfully and then to the dealer who knocked it out easily. Problem with drivetrain alarm. The little wrench light. Dealer says it’s the PCM but lead time for replacement is 6+ months. Not a good sign. Any way, is there something that anybody knows of that would cause the PCM to fail? Also, has anyone had any good experience with a shop other than the dealer that was able to replace the PCM successfully? Not just get me a PCM but install and have it work? Alarm is becoming more and more frequent. I can clear it by restarting but I am concerned that it will drop me to idle speed at an inappropriate moment

Its odd that many go. Sadly it could be something as stupid as the ignition coil, or fuel injectors.
I have only used rebuilders on line. nothing I can recommend
The gen 2 4.0 wiring harnesses fall apart behind the intake and fire wall.
ALSO under the battery tray is a harness that the battery acid drains onto and rots the harness.
Causes all sorts of issues.

Its odd that many go. Sadly it could be something as stupid as the ignition coil, or fuel injectors.
I have only used rebuilders on line. nothing I can recommend
The gen 2 4.0 wiring harnesses fall apart behind the intake and fire wall.
ALSO under the battery tray is a harness that the battery acid drains onto and rots the harness.
Causes all sorts of issues.
That's great information to know, thanks

I have a 2008 ST Limited, with 178K on the ticker. Also the 4.0. Had a bad battery from Advance Auto (post seal leak), which let acid leak up from the positive post. Red plastic cover hid the damage. Acid up through the positive cable, and ultimately caused PCM failure. This was two years ago, when Ford could not GET PCMs. Did find a guy in Jacksonville that provided rebuilt/reflashed PCMs. My Ford dealer was so happy that I found one, they rebuilt my harness stub and installed the PCM for $200, which included the fob/key flash. NEVER buy a battery from Advance -- they cover the battery, but NOT the damage their shit causes.

I have a 2008 ST Limited, with 178K on the ticker. Also the 4.0. Had a bad battery from Advance Auto (post seal leak), which let acid leak up from the positive post. Red plastic cover hid the damage. Acid up through the positive cable, and ultimately caused PCM failure. This was two years ago, when Ford could not GET PCMs. Did find a guy in Jacksonville that provided rebuilt/reflashed PCMs. My Ford dealer was so happy that I found one, they rebuilt my harness stub and installed the PCM for $200, which included the fob/key flash. NEVER buy a battery from Advance -- they cover the battery, but NOT the damage their shit causes.
Great information!

Latest posts