20K Mile Tires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just the 18" Cross Terrains that are wearing here? I ask this because at 11,000 miles, mine look like they are down about 1/2 the original tread depth. Mine are wearing very evenly and like some of the others, I check pressures at least every two weeks.

My wife had Cross Terrains on her Jeep Liberty that looked like new when she traded it with 38,000 miles on them.

Did Ford get a bunch of bad 18" Cross Terrains for OEM Tracs?

Good old Goodyear tires. I haven't found a Goodyear tire worth a crap.

Tom

I put a set of GoodYear Invicta GS tires on a Mazda MX-6 that I had-- those were excellent tires- very quiet, great traction, no vibration, wore like iron.

Then traded the MX-6 for a Mitsubishi Eclipse that had Goodyear Invicta GL tires on it. It was a night and day difference-- all four cupped in 8,000 miles, were rough riding, treacherous in rain and snow, and they howled like a dog on the highway.

GoodYear apparently CAN make good tires if they want to. But you are right--I have had several OEM Goodyear tires and NONE of them were ever worth a crap. The best ones were below average. Goodyear has lost all credibility with me.

The OEM Bridgestone Potenzas on my wife's Outback appear to be wearing OK, but they are not great tires due to traction issues in rain and snow. If the Outback didn't have AWD, it would not go in snow at all. I'll probably trade them out next Fall if we still have this car.

I will stick with BF Goodrich or Michelin from now on.

Other than my fast-wearing Michelin 18" Cross-Terrains, I have never had a bad tire from Michelin.

I just checked my Michelin Cross Terrains and with just over 13K miles on my Trac I would say they are only worn about 1/4 the tread. I think i'm on track to get at least 40K miles out of them.

All tire manufacturers make economy and premium tires. Auto manufacturers generaly buy the cheapest tire they can get that meet the minimum specifications for that vehicle and then order millions of those tires.

My honda came with Michelins that were trash in only about 30K miles and had terrible wet weather traction.

I had Dunlaps on one car that were even worse than the Michelins and were very difficult to keep in balance because they wore out of round.

Never had a General tire that would stay in round and also the all had poor wet weather traction.

I put some really cheap Firestones on one car and got great wear and performance from them but the Firestones that came on my new 2001 Sport Trac were actually scary and Ford recalled them all.

For the past 20-25 years I have usually bought Goodyuears and have had have had very good wear on oll models of tires. The Goodyear RT/S tires that cam on my 2003 Sport Trac are wearing well. My biggest gripe is the very poor wet weather traction. I even had them siped, which made a big improvement, but I would still not rate tham as an "A" traction tire.

I don't believe you can rate a brand of tire as being good or bad just based on the tires OEM tires that cam on your vehicle. The OEM tires are a compromise and are inexpensive for the cehicle manufacturer. You have to buy tires that best fits your driving, and weather conditions in your area. A tire that does well in New York City may not do very well at ll in Dallas, Texas, etc

...Rich

I got about 40k out of my stock Michelins. About 20k now on my Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's and they still look new. Dreman, I've never heard of ANYONE getting 104k out of a set of tires. Maybe you better check your speedometer.

I guess I just "ride lightly" on my tires! I put Michelins on my GMC when the original equipment Teflon-impregnated (or so it seemed) General tires wore out at 60k. Those tires lasted to almost 160k, when I put Continentals on (cheaper, longer warranty). They don't seem to be as able to take construction sites as well, and I've replaced them all at least once, sometimes under warranty. But now I'm looking for the last set I intend to put on it at 270k.

Last edited by a moderator: