280ZX - Thoughts?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a 280ZX that has absolutely no rust (paint looks very good) has T-Tops, leather, and looks pretty good. Has a little wear, but not too bad.

Anything i need to know or look at? Most of them rust away around here, so I am thinking it came from down south.

Besides the rust I don't know about much that goes wrong with them. Everyone one I've seen in NY had no floor left.

I'd love to get my hands on one, I've seen some v8 swaps on those that are killer.

Guessing it is not original paint?

I live in New Orleans - the south. Everyone I have seen in the past ten years had rust along the front edge of the hood, and I beleive around the back of the rear hatch window. Unless the one you are looking at has been sitting in a garage, check it over for poor weld patches or poor filler jobs.

Other than that, I had a buddy with a 280Z turbo. It was very quick.

Good luck.

I had a 260Z back in the day. Alot of fun to drive, but I agree with what seems to be said alot here...they do have rust problems. I suggest you check really close (maybe check the undercarriage) just to be sure. If there's no sign of rust, I'd say you have quite a find there. Good luck and enjoy it if it all works out.

Take a weak magnet with you when you check the car out...just strong enough to stick to a metal surface through a few layers of paint, but not strong enough to stick through body filler. Also, check out the door jambs and underhood for paint overspray to let you know of a repaint, and possible damage/rust repair.

They aren't bad cars, and when restored, make nice lookers. Don't really know much about them alone.

Don't know about the 280's but as I recall the 300's were prone to electrical fires. May want to look into that.

Latest posts