2wd Trac in the sand

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Franklin

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Got a question for you, I'm finally replacing the stock wranglers and upper and lower joints on my trac next week for my up comming trip to the outer bank islands. The trac is getting reshoed with Cooper Discoverer S/T's.

Here is my dilema. I really enjoy surf fishing when I'm down there but I only have 2wd. The entrance to the off road area's are numerous but it ussually goes like this.

Soft sand as you enter the off road ramp, softer as you climb the 5 degree incline and then softest sand as you peak the incline. Then you get to ride on the hard pack sand the rest of the way.

Now, we attempted this last year in a Nissan Armada with a F150 behind us both in 4wd High. Everyone sank because despite my warnings, they didn't deflate to 10lbs. (city slickers I swear)

Once they all deflated everyone had a rockin good time out in the designated 4wd area's.

So.. am I crazy for thinking my 2wd drive trac with 10lbs of pressure will get us from point a to point b on the beach if I am not trying to show off and just keep it moving along, taking precaution to not park on hills and such?

I just think back to seeing pictures of toyota corolla's driving on the beach at spring break wondering.. why can't my trac do this???

as long as you drop you pressure you should be okay (if you don't go showboating) Just write down that tow truck # at the beginning of the 4X4 beach, it might come in handy!

I took my 2WD 2002 ST with 4.10 non-limit slip, disengaged the OD, dropped the All-terrains to 15 PSI, tossed about 300 lbs of equipment/boards/food in the bed and 4 adults inside, had no problems going in nor back out at Padre Island last year. Maybe just lucky.

I never bothered to air down my tires when I hit the beach at the OBX. I would think if you air down and maintain forward momentum you should be just fine. I would bring a tow rope just in case....and have a good time too!!

marc