3" body lift questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex dougherty

Reaction score
Next week i will be doing a 3" body lift on my trac in school. Ive got a couple questions about it if anybody knows the answers.

I read the article a member on here posted when he did it that was really in depth. Do you have to take the drivers and passanger front seats out?

Ive watched a couple videos and read a bunch of articles online about people doing it to the sport tracs. Does anybody have issues with the body bolts being rusted together to the point were you cant get them off?

Any answers would help, thanks!

From reading many other threads, sounds like the most difficult part is loosening the body mount bolts, especially if corrosion is bad. Heating the bolt bottom to soften the Loctite

and a strong impact wrench sounds like the easiest way. As you've probably read, replacing the OEM body mounts at the same time is a no brainer, especially if they're deteriorating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't remove my seats, I just had to connect the battery when I needed to move it back and forth to access the bolts from inside.

Like stated above use a propane torch to heat up the bolts from underneath, it helps with the concrete tight factory Loctite they use.

You said you're doing the body lift in school, if you have a welder there I would suggest tack welding angle iron from the bottom bushing plate to the frame so you don't have to try to hold it with a pair of channel locks, vise grips or a pipe wrench.

The lift itself is pretty easy, just a lot of tedious little things to do before and after you change out the body bolts, and add the lift pucks

Definitely do the body mount bushings at the same time. Of all the recommendations anyone will give you, this is the second most important.

The first is to make sure you fasten the a/c hose away from the pulley.

thanks for the suggestions.

ill have to bring my torch because i dont think the school allows my teacher to have one.

should i use the lift to lift the body or just use a floor jack to jack one side up?

If you can lift slowly and at very small controlled increments, sure. You need to watch for binding. I would personally feel more comfortable with a floor jack.

Latest posts