3D printing, very cool

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad sent me this a couple weeks ago and I meant to share on here. I was a little skeptical at first. Engineers a Lockheed confirmed their existence. Jay Leno has one in his workshop for "printing" his own parts. Not cheap!

3d printing like this has been around for years. I remember first hearing about this at least 8 to 10 years ago.

There are essentially two different approaches. One uses a polymer bath and a two lasers that at their point of intersection causes the chemicals of the polymer liquid to harden; and the other uses adhesive and powdered plastic which was shown here.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought one. $77000 complete.

Will be using it to prototype a new handle design.

Oh, and NO...Jay Leno would not be using it for parts, as the final parts are not strong enough to use. He may be using them to test for fit, and then having final parts made from it.

The one I will be using is the powder version, there are HP ink cartriges inside it to make color, and the black cartrige holds the glue that binds the powder together. It is cool.

Nope, just standard off-the-shelf-at WalMart cartridges. The expensive stuff is the glue and it gets put into the black cartridge inside the machine.

Oh, and NO...Jay Leno would not be using it for parts, as the final parts are not strong enough to use. He may be using them to test for fit, and then having final parts made from it.

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like he prints his own parts for use. I was referring to the fact that he owns cars that parts are nearly, if not completely, impossible to come by. The printer helps him to have the parts made that can no longer be found anywhere else.

We have one mold that is used for a bus joint insulation. Draw the shape in 3D, let the software create a shell around it, print it and fill the cavity with liquid silicone rubber.

Works great as a low-cost alternative to an injection mold (if you've ever priced a plastic part injection mold, you'd know what I mean).

Go down to your local high school and ask to visit their Project Lead The Way pre engineering program. You will see 3D printers being used in most of these local programs.

About 10 years ago I had a job interview with a local company who makes equipment that does that kind of thing. It was very cool--but I ended up turning down the job offer. But I did get a couple promotional pieces from them which I saw made right before me on their equipment--including a wrench like the one you see in the video, only smaller.

I build a lot of model kits and I would absolutely love to have one of those to build the parts I need to build a model of the Normandy SR-2 from Mass Effect 2 video game.

DoctorCad, if you do have one, how much would you charge to make the parts I need to build said model kit?

:supercool::supercool:

Latest posts