4.10 axel ratio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Harris

Reaction score
Just about to purchase a 2005 Black XLT with the Sport Group Package. It comes with the 4.10 axel instead of, I believe, 3.73. Can some one tell me the difference between the two? The pros and cons? Why is this an upgrade?

Thanks, can't wait to pick up my new truck!

The 410 axle has more low end torque multiplication than the 373. The XLT comes with a taller tire than the XLS. Ford uses the 410 to make up for low end torque loss with the taller tire....

Sweet Truck!, the 4.10 will be better for pulling and better burnouts lol but, the 3.73 gets better mileage...but myself, i wish i had the 4.10...

good luck

andy

Check the MPG log. There is little to no difference in MPG between the 3.73 vs. the 4.10.

Tom

Thanks for the replies, guys. I look forward to becoming a member of the community here. My next question will be about removal of this air box thing and what that does, but we'll leave that for another day. Thanks again!

I'm probably wrong, but back in the winter months there was a discussion about which was better in snowy/slick conditions and I think the conclusion was that 4.10 doesn't fare as well. This may not be true, I just remember the discussion..plus being in Mississippi I don't think it's relevant in your case...just a little additional info.

You can get a 3.73 with the Limited slip.

It's what I've got. Factory.

and I think the conclusion was that 4.10 doesn't fare as well. This may not be true, I just remember the discussion.

Like I said, it doesn't matter. The 4.10's come on Tracs with the taller tires, so it's a wash.

(I purposely got a Trac with 3.73's because the Ranger I had before with 4.10's was screaming at highway speeds and got lousy mpg. Then I put bigger tires on the Trac right away, it's a little slower out of the hole but not bad. All 'froading is automatically done in Low Range.)