4.11 gear ratio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score
Has any one changed the 8.8 original gear ratio on the ST dirrenthial and replaced it with the 4.11? I got a very good offer on one and i am told it will be like the F150 ligthing, it will give more power during the go but will not affect riding being it is automatic. Please let me know.

thanks.

i have the 4.10 gear ratio, there ios actually a code in your door jam that tells you exactly. I cant remember it though, all i know is that if it says 42 or 4D its 4.10 or somthing like that. Do a search on this forum and you will locate it.

Dallas

i just put 5.13s in. talk about a diff. its just a little high. i needed 4.88s, but im planning on going with bigger tires again so i went ahead and put 5.13s to save me from installation costs later. i can smoke my 36s like no other off the line. :D

The 8.8 is the inches of the ring gear in the rearend. The 4.10 is the actual gear ratio..

To be honest there in not a whole lot of difference from the 3.73 to the 4.10 ratio.. IF going to changer gears for towing or racing, ( your MPG will go down!!) Go with the 4:56 ratio !!!

Todd Z

Thanks guys, pardon my lack of knowledge, for the ones that had this done, how much you paid for the install?

And, where should I buy the 4:56 ration?

And, where should I buy the 4:56 ration?

Although I've sorta gotten away from seriously building vehicles myself ($1000 a month in child support has a way of doing that), people I know who do prefer Richmond gears. Try Drivetrain Warehouse, Randy's Ring And Pinion, Summit, or Reider Racing.

i would go with genuine gears. theyre reasonably priced and give a "no questions asked" lifetime warrenty. you can burn em up, wear em out or even install it wrong and they still cover it. i paid 1500 for mine. i was ripped off but i had no choice but to have the dealer do it... it was the only way they would continue to keep my tanny under warrenty. i also had to pay for some extra stuff since i went so high in ratio. for our 8.8s when we use a gear taller then 4.56 we are required to use a modified cross shaft in the carrier. i also had them put in mustang gt axle shafts and new bearings and seals thrugh out the whole axle. so to sum up the parts list for a normal install.... the gears, master install kit, syn gear oil, diff cover sealant, and for those running 4.56 or taller the modified cross shaft. you can usually get both front and rear axles done for about 1500