4.6 v8 seems sluggish . . .

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an '07 4.6 and it was never sluggish. What are you wanting to modify? Todd Z has cold air intake and oversized TB, Bama Chips another sponser has programmer for what ever tunes you would want, I've got a new set of underdrive pulleys for sale I bought from Summit Racing and never used. The list goes on.

Jim Jinks:D

I totally understand I won't get back what I put into the trac when it is time to get something new. My '01 with 115k miles and the gas prices what they are did not get me much in trade compared to what I spent in mods. The mods are totally for my enjoyment now. I like the performance you can get out of these trucks. It makes it very fun to drive. I hope that the pedal response can be corrected with a new tune.

I agree with most of what the other guys have said. I have done Todd's modified TB, the X-Cal2 plug-in tuner, KKM open element air filter and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. While some of these mod's may not make any huge gains in hp or fuel mileage the hot rod sounds definitely ad to the fun factor. I think one of the big contributors to the sluggish acceleration is the fact that the top two gears in the 6-speed trans are overdrive gears. This no doubt helps highway fuel mileage but it also causes the truck to feel sluggish on the highway. I have found that letting it shift for you versus trying to shift it manually works way better when trying to accelerate quickly. Just leave it in D and mash the throttle. It will pick the optimum gear. It actually goes pretty good for only having 281 cubic inches in a truck as heavy as this. Every time my buddy rides in mine he says "This thing has a lot of ass!" :D

16.2. let me think a moment, dump 2 grand in the truck in engine mods, and you may run mid 15s (woot)

dump 8 grand inthe truck with forced induction, suspension mods, lose a 1000 lbs and your lunchbox may run high 13s.

Or get rid of the trac, go buy a jeep SRT8 and run High 12s, low 13s all day OEM.

Be happy with what you have, it ain't intended to be a race car.

The TB & Tuner are my #2 & #3 mods.....right after the #1 Drop Springs!

The Lag on start is HORRIBLE and I notice it every time I drive the truck....even after I thought I would just get used to it, You don'T!!

The lag sucks big time.

It is even worse on my wife's outback. The digital display shows instantaneous throttle response. From what I have read about drive by wire and all the redundancy safety circuits, I believe there is a good connection between the pedal and the throttle valve. I am thinking the problem is that the injectors cannot dump a good-size burp of fuel into the engine right away the same way our old carburetor accellerator pumps could instantaneously dump raw gas down the intake.

CVT trannies have gears granted, they are run by belts, will ask once more, are they CVT trannies.

If so, they mush into gear, not like the 555r that used hydraulics.

Thus you have a learning curve, entirly diff feeling.

Bill, CVTs don't have gears. They have variable pulleys. The V8s have a 6r60 transmission. 6 plain ol' regular gears. Standard automatic transmission, not a CVT.

CVT trannies have gears granted, they are run by belts, will ask once more, are they CVT trannies.

No, the Sport Trac does not have a CVT tranny. I think Ford has quit making CVT tranny's. IIRC, only Nissan is still pursuing them, but only on one vehicle.

The sluggish feeling is caused by big brother. To help fuel economy, Ford limits off the line throttle. How? Ford is using a Throttle By Wire (TBW) system where the ECU is told how much you are pressing the throttle and the ECU opens the throttle body plate. The ECU also has the ability to open the throttle body less than you tell it to.

Some members, as for as I know, have recieved the XCal2 with the throttle response fixed and reported better performance.

When I test drove a 3V V8 Explorer, I felt my 2002 Trac was faster, more responsive, and more fun to drive.

Tom

But once the V8 decides it's time to go, there is no comparison!

Tom - my '01 was much more responsive but I have only driven about 5 miles on the new STA. I think Torrie can help me with a new tune.

Get the tune, you wont regret it. I almost was shocked at the poor performance before I tuned the STA... Now, I love to drive it, and it moves, fast.

Latest posts