4 Wheel Drive question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie Oh

Reaction score
i have a 2001 XLT ST, and i noticed last winter and again this winter that whenever i put my trac into 4 wheel drive, i get an odd noise coming from what seems like the front axle. I do not know much about mechanics in this area and i was wondering if anybody could help me fix or discover what the problem is...it sounds a lot like a grinding sound or a deep roaring sound thats the best way i can describe it at least...

any suggestions?

Thanx.

(also i have included a link to my trac if anyone would like to see it)

Ok, without hearing the exact noise, it is hard to tell if it is normal or abnormal.

You will hear a noise from the front end that does sound like you explained. It is from the transfer case transfering power to the front wheels. It is not normal to hear it in 2WD mode, but once you put it in 4x4 mode, you hear a grinding noise.

Is the noise really loud and annoying or is it more like a low pitched grown that feels like it is coming through the floor like a vibration that is audible?

Tom

the problem does only occur when in four wheel drive mode and its more of a low pitched grown like a vibration like you explained.

~Robbie

Sounds like it is normal operation. If you havent done so, I do suggest changing the transfer case fluid. Real simple job. There is a project on how to do it.

Fluid is cheap, transfer cases aren't.

Tom

okay, awesome, thanks. I really appreciate the advice... ill be sure to look up that project and purchase some Trasfer case fluid.

Thanks again,

Robbie.