4dw Motor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Pachnos

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me where the 4wd engagement motor is? I've heard many of you advise whacking it with a mallet to get it engaged but I am not sure where the motor is. THANKS!

It is attached to your transfer case and looks like a wiper motor if your familiar with them.

Easy to see and easy to get to...

Once you do free it up engage it evry month even in summer. This will ensure it will work when you really do need it....

Coastiejoe,

Thanks for the reply - dumb question for you: where is the transfer case? Do I follow the drive train foward from the differential?

It's a metallic cylinder about 5" long, 3" diameter, should be on the passenger side of the transfer case (once you find that). At least that's where it was in my Ranger, should be similar. You don't have to wack it that hard, just tap it. The idea is to knock any carbon deposits/dust off the motors armature that's preventing the motors brushes from making good contact with the armature. You don't want to hit it so hard you break the magnets or anything else.