4wd module

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
Lost 4wd last week and want to try to fix this on my own. Have searched and read the posts dealing with this issue and my question to you all is this. When I turn the dash switch to 4wd, if I don't hear any "click" in the passenger side, is this a sure sign of the module? Is there a fuse I should check first? Wouldn't a bad module through a CEL?

Thanks

Tim

CEL No.

Can check the fuse, Also try tapping the motor with a rubber mallet first, Then replace the module...

Todd Z

No '4wd HIGH' light & no click, most likely the shift motor on the transfer case. Do what Todd sez and see if that works. I'd say have it put on a diagnostic scanner and it'll tell you. It's $70 - $80, but it's cheaper than a $200 module that you might not need.

Last edited by a moderator:
My lights didn't light up, and it wasn't the module...

I doubt that the fuse is the problem. Like Coastie sez, if you don't engage your 4wd like weekly, it's likely the shift motor. I use mine quite often, (at least once a month) and mine still went bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a matter of fact my battery went dead several months ago. Now that I remember it there was a clicking noise in the cabin while it was dead. What's the significance of this?

Thanks

One of my shooting buddies has a garage and he said he'll throw it on the scanner for me before I order the part. I'll post the results. Did you hear a repeated clicking noise in the cabin when your battery was shot?

My headlight switch knob was stripped and when I arrived early AM for a match down at Long Island I turned my lights off or so I thought. Later that day I went to the ST for something and found the dead battery and the clicking noise. I got a jump from someone and thought all was well, haven't tried the 4wd since.

Thanks for the info all, I'll update the post when I find out for sure.

Tim

Well Xmas came early for me this year, just got off the phone with my buddy and he's getting the module in from Ford this afternoon.......$104.00 !

And to top it off, if that's not the problem then they will take the module back.

Just fixed my light switch knob so hopefully this won't happen again. HO HO HO

Tim

Update: late Friday I stopped by his shop and installed the new module.....back to 4wd! Of coarse that means we'll have no more snow up here in CT. Bottom line, if your battery goes dead and you hear the clicking noise in the cabin prior to jumping you are most definately looking at a new module. Easy to replace though.

Happy holidays all

Tim